1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Last one out, please turn off the lights

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by lono, Mar 17, 2008.

1. lono

lono Active Member

http://money.cnn.com/news/newsfeeds/articles/djf500/200803171443DOWJONESDJONLINE000746_FORTUNE5.htm

2. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

I will stand in a soup line before I will work in a "content center."

3. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Fuck that. What we do has value. If department store ads won't pay for it, someone else will. We just need to figure out who.

4. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Or, after so many layoffs, it eventually hits the point where on a smaller-scale, newspapers will work.

5. FileNotFound

FileNotFound Well-Known Member

You have the right idea, right there. Word for word. The task is not to "rethink" the content; the task is to "rethink" the business model.

6. chazp

chazp Active Member

I was having a pretty good day before I read that. According to the article, some journalists share some blame for being laid off, those that didn't want to change to online deadlines. Maybe being out of work for a while will make them realize online deadlines aren't so bad.

7. Joe Williams

Joe Williams Well-Known Member

Online deadlines are fine and the need to be first trumps all else (including, too often, the need to be right).

But what about the need to write? As we work on this 24/7 news cycle, with all its platforms (online, print, audio, video), do we really allow enough time to actually write stories that are worth reading? Seems like most of us are becoming wire service shovelers, with only an elite few allowed the time and freedom to "craft" the words anymore.

I got into this business in order to write for a living, with reporting a necessary function of that. Feels every day like we're wringing the writing out of it. We're information providers but not entertaining writers anymore. (Self-indulgent, navel-gazing blog entries don't count, IMHO.)

In broadcast, they bitch about a lack of time to report. We're supposed to report but we lack the time to really write:

Here's evidence that CNN's Crowley may be working too hard
    St. Augustine Record
    "I was so sleep deprived once that I found myself brushing my teeth with moisturizer," Candy Crowley told a Flagler College audience. "It's never-ending. But I can only last a while doing that. Eventually I hit a wall." She also said that with so many avenues to "put our journalism -- radio, TV, podcasts and blogs -- what suffers is reporting. You almost don't have time to figure [a story] out before you're on the air with it. What we're actually missing is substance or context."

8. derwood

derwood Active Member

What is a full-time "associate"?

9. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

We'd better think quickly.

10. Baron Scicluna

Baron Scicluna Well-Known Member

I love how some journalists in the article were blamed because they weren't willing to adjust from a print-oriented deadline to a Web-oriented one. Maybe if they had time to do so, instead of just having the Web work piled on top of their print workloads, they would have been able to adjust faster.

On the other hand, my shop tried to have a reporter work a 5 a.m. to 1 p.m. shift five days a week for Web and print work. They went through like, three reporters in a few months, and now, I believe, they have their reporters alternate shifts to cover the morning one.

11. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

The problem is two-fold.

1. Management expected this change to cost them nothing. And didn't want to invest in Web reporters, etc.

2. Reporters didn't always understand the significance of the Web. An extremely well-known sports reporter for one of the major papers in the country told me a few years ago that writing for online-only wasn't worth his time. Now, I'm being told he's really excited to write something on a daily basis for the Internet.

Everyone knows how important the Web is now but the industry might be a day late and a dollar short.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bookmark.

Draft saved Draft deleted