1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Billy Crystal will bat leadoff today

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Mar 13, 2008.

1. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Or Rick Vaughn.

2. OnTheRiver

OnTheRiver Active Member

Would've paid good money to see Maholm do his best to do a Russ Springer job on Crystal.

Not because I hate the idea of Billy Crystal doing this (or the Yankees allowing it)... I just think it would be funny to see Billy Crystal take an 88 mph pitch off the hip.

3. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

I'd settle for a Randy Johnson vs. John Kruk at the All-Star Game effort.

4. Inky_Wretch

Inky_Wretch Well-Known Member

How many teams did Garth Brooks do the spring training thing with? Wasn't it like three or four?

Tom Selleck worked with the Tigers one season, didn't he?

5. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

That was back in 1991, right around the time he was starting to film 'Mr Baseball'. He struck out as well.

http://query.nytimes.com/gst/fullpage.html?res=9D0CE4DD1030F937A35757C0A967958260&n=Top%2fReference%2fTimes%20Topics%2fPeople%2fS%2fSelleck%2c%20Tom

6. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

I have much less of a problem with this if the guy is filming a baseball movie...

Crystal is just doing this because he can and he loves the attention since he doesn't get any for doing anything else these days...

7. m2spts

m2spts Member

So, Paul Maholm strikes out 60-year-old Billy Crystal on a 3-2 count.
    What a waste of time.
    The Pirates should have signed 80-year-old Elroy Face for a day.
    Fork ball. Fork ball. Fork ball.

8. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

It works both ways though. Players get a little diversion from boring camp, team gets millions of dollars worth of publicity. You can't buy that spot on the national evenining news. It is annoying on some level that Billy Crystal gets to have his private fantasy camp, but I'm trying not to be a hater. He can, and did.

9. The Yankees were in dire need of publicity. Good for them.

10. Armchair_QB

Armchair_QB Well-Known Member

Pittsburgh should have signed some hack actor who is a huge Pirates fan and had him pitch to Crystal.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

C'mon. Who in hollywood would admit to being a Pirates fan?

12. markvid

markvid Guest

Michael Keaton.

Draft saved Draft deleted