1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE - OPEN AGAIN?

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Angola!, Mar 7, 2008.

1. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Re: Lubbock (TX) Avalanche Journal SE

The sad thing at my shop is our advertising department struggled to sell the tab last year. I don't know how or why, probably just because they suck.
    Because the town I work in should never, ever have a problem selling anything related to high school football.
    And yes, TP is correct, our travel was cut to bare bones last year.

2. writing irish

writing irish Active Member

When that jock-sniffing lickspittle from Michigan who worked for the big daily came to Alpine, he didn't get to spend the night. Had to haul his rude ass back up to town. I miss Alpine, but I don't miss covering the Fighting Bucks. BTW, anyone want a good Alpine feature story idea, PM me.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

way to throw in when you don't know what the hell you're talking about. keep up the good work.

4. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

and just so you know, i wasn't making light of your situation. just pointing to something i didn't think made much sense. you know you're my boy, chief.

5. joe_schmoe

joe_schmoe Active Member

Oh Goody. I was wondering how long we would have to wait for the TP stock "You don't know what you're talking about" post. Only had to wait to the bottom of the 3rd page, not bad...not bad at all, especially on the Jobs board.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

YOU SAID: "Working on the tab hardly takes away from the daily product, since most of the work on it is done in August ..."

WE, as in the rest of us, were talking about blowing travel money on the football tab and not being able to staff some football games during the season.

YOU, on the other hand, weren't even in the ballpark. please, try to keep up.

7. m2spts

m2spts Member

Though I once had a nice sit down with Bob Knight, there's no challenge to the job in Lubbock anymore.

8. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

I was always afraid I'd transpose the F and the B in Alpine's nickname.

9. writing irish

We did it all the time. Never could decide whether to call Marfa the Shithorns or the Shortones, however.

10. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

Re travel ... Our publisher is an idiot. He'll let us travel to Abilene or Austin but won't let us expense a hotel room.

Guess what I do? I put in for mileage there-and-back, there-and-back; book a room there; and come out a hundred bucks or two ahead.

11. writing irish

You sir, are merely an instrument of karma. Feel no remorse.

12. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sometimes our publisher likes to tell us we can't stay the night in places like Abilene or Alpine. I just do it anyway. There is no fucking way I am driving 2 1/2 hours home in the middle of the night, risking running into a mule deer just so the paper can save the $36 it costs to stay in a Motel 6.

Draft saved Draft deleted