1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abilene, Texas needs a sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. BigDog

BigDog Active Member

Avoid.

2. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

Please elaborate

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Unless I'm mistaken, Scripps doesn't have a JOA between this paper and any other, so you'd have that going for you.

4. PeterGibbons

PeterGibbons Member

Yes

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

All I will say is this: If you are wanting to cover Texas High School football where the fans act like these are college programs, then this would be a good job. Not too many jobs open up in West Texas, especially not getting to cover the really good teams like Abilene High or Permian or Midland Lee.

6. spud

spud Member

As opposed to... covering an area of apathetic teams where nobody cares? You have to deal with idiot fans everywhere. At least there you can deal with them and a couple preps squads that really matter.

The downside I think you're missing is the lack of upward mobility where pro and D-I teams are concerned. This isn't a gig where that's possible. As long as you view this one as a launching pad I don't see any more negative than other primarily prep shops.

Plus, you get Mary Hardin-Baylor. What more could you ask for?

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I apparently didn't write my post very well.
    I was saying it is a good thing the fans are crazy. West Texas is one of the few places in this country where you can cover preps, but feel like you are covering college football.
    And Abilene has three colleges that are all competitive.

8. spud

spud Member

Gotcha... thought you were in the 'avoid' camp.

Other than the area, which is a few stacked bricks rising out of the void that is West Texas, it's a good place to cut your teeth. Abilene sucks, but the sports don't.

9. pressboxer

pressboxer Active Member

Actually, you get Hardin-Simmons (Baptist), McMurry (Methodist) and Abilene Christian (Church of Christ). Mary Hardin-Baylor (also Baptist) is in Belton, about 200 miles southeast of Abilene. HSU and McMurry compete in the same Division III conference as UMHB, the American Southwest Conference, while ACU competes in the Division II Lone Star Conference.

And neither of the Baptist schools should be confused with Harding University, a Church of Christ school in Searcy, Ark.

10. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Where did Marc David go? Last I heard of him he was in Vegas or Arizona. Marc doesn't stay anywhere for long.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

He's only been in Abilene since August or so. I heard he was getting out of the business.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

how long was he in the business?

Draft saved Draft deleted