1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Crestview (Fla.) Bulletin SE

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Sunshine Scooter, Mar 3, 2008.

1. http://www.journalismjobs.com/Job_Listing.cfm?JobID=889711

Company: Crestview News Bulletin
    Position: Sports Editor
    Job Status: Full-time
    Salary: $30,000 to $35,000
    Ad Expires: April 7, 2008
    Job ID: 889711

Description:
    Looking for flexible hours and a chance to build up your portfolio while working 30 miles from the beaches of the Florida Panhandle?

The Crestview News Bulletin is seeking a Sports Editor to lead coverage of three local high schools and two local middle schools.

The Crestview News Bulletin is a twice-weekly newspaper owned by Freedom Communications, Inc.

The Sports Editor would have four major duties:

1. Lead News Bulletin coverage of varsity sports at three area high schools and two area middle schools.

2. Lead coverage of Crestview-area sports for the Northwest Florida Daily News, a neighboring 40,000-circulation daily that is also part of Freedom Communications.

3. Produce concepts and content for Crestview News Bulletin football, basketball and baseball/softball special sections.

4. Lead coverage of community sports in the area, particularly during the summer months.

The Sports Editor will get an opportunity to build a portfolio of feature, analysis and enterprise articles. Scheduling can be flexible because we are a twice-weekly paper.

Interested? Send cover letter, resume and clips to News Bulletin editor Kyle Wright at kylew@crestviewbulletin.com

This opening may be the result of the internal hire at the Fort Walton paper, but I'm not sure. Seems like a decent gig with some opportunities.

2. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

This paper was bought by Freedom a little more than a year ago, when Freedom bought just about every non-daily in the Panhandle between Escambia Bay and the Apalachicola River. I don't know if the Crestview opening is related to the movement at the Daily News, but it wouldn't surprise me if the Daily News sports staff, which three years ago was at six people, goes to a four-person operation and leans on the weeklies and twice-weeklies to provide content.

3. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

That's pretty good pay for a weekly, but what's the cost of living that close to the coast?

4. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Damn, based on that salary I'm thinking of applying. Don't really want to "step down" to a bi-weekly, but that is more than I make at a paper that is a lot bigger.

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

According to the sites I just looked up, houses cost in the 80k to 125k range and apartments rent between $395 to $520 a month. You could save up a lot of money living there.

6. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

The way I see it, this looks like a low-stress gig with pretty good pay. Oh yeah, it's close to the beach, too. Makes me wonder why I'm sitting here getting used as tornado bait right now.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Or why I am sitting in ugly-ass West Texas.
    The only drawback I see is trying to get back into daily papers.

8. jmb51879

jmb51879 Member

Getting back to a daily shouldn't be a problem. You have a 40k circ daily next door within your company and a 65k circ daily 45 minutes down the down in Pensacola (which once snagged the Bulletin's SE because he was doing a great job). Kyle Wright's good people, has a sports background and knows the job.

9. Editude

Editude Active Member

This actually reads like a reasonable gig. With Freedom's lead dog suffering, maybe these puppies have a clue.

10. HackyMcHack

HackyMcHack Member

There has been a lot of movement between the weeklies and the two Freedom dailies (both Fort Walton Beach and Panama City) in recent years, so there definitely is an avenue to going back into daily work from Crestview.

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Really, when you could be sitting in the Florida Panhandle being used as hurricane bait in no time! Just saying.

12. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

You'd sort of still be in daily papers, at least as a component of the job. The ad said you'd be leading coverage of Crestview-area sports for the Daily News as well, so you'd get daily bylines still.

I wonder if this isn't where papers are heading -- a central daily, a lot of satellite non-dailies feeding stories into the mothership. In theory it increases prep coverage (say, five non-daily SEs handling their areas for the daily as opposed to a smaller number of daily prep writers), with the bonus of local expertiese (having the one person cover two schools extensively instead of one sport or GAing it). That's assuming the non-daily SEs aren't hit with 3-5 daily assignments in addition to their non-daily tasks. But it seems like a nice idea if the powers that be understand how to strike a balance.

Draft saved Draft deleted