1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Abilene, Texas needs a sports reporter

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by big green wahoo, Mar 1, 2008.

1. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

When we say overworked, to what extent are we talking about? After all, I can't think of too many shops where the sports staff isn't overworked.

2. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

[​IMG]

They do let you use the company mop.

In all honesty, I don't know the first thing about this gig.

3. Angola!

Angola! Guest

On a recent Tuesday night - the heaviest night for preps in this area - they had one person working.

I assume, though, that by hiring this new person, things should ease a bit in Abilene. They could definitely use the help. Plus, if the person gets to cover Abilene High football, that would be a very cool gig. AHS is very, very good right now and has consistently been ranked in the top 10 in the state and gone deep into the playoffs.

4. I was just looking at the Reporter-News site and they list five names under Sports Writers. That seems like a good number of staffers for a paper this size, no?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Five is a good amount for that paper, though I've never heard of one of the guys that it claims is a sports writer. Maybe they just schedule really dumb, rather than being short-staffed.
    I do know in the past year there have been times they haven't covered home games for their 5A schools. That's pretty hard to justify.

Edit: Bill Hart is listed as a sports columnist, but apparently is an older guy that does Sunday columns. So, really, they only have 4 reporters.

6. Football_Bat

Football_Bat Well-Known Member

So who the hell's in charge of sports there?

Can't be too bad if they won an APSE. Maybe without The Man holding the shackles, the writer can blossom.

7. Angola!

Angola! Guest

I'm not sure who is in charge.

As far as them winning an APSE, well I have no comment on that.

They do have a universal desk, so reporters don't have to do layout.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid.

9. Angola!

Angola! Guest

So apparently it is Marc David that is leaving. I'm pretty sure he was just hired not to long ago and he had the Abilene High beat, which I guess means that goes with this opening.
    Also, apparently the Life editor is the acting SE, while from what a source told me, Troy Shockley (good guy) is basically doing all of the day-to-day stuff.
    So, with this hire, there will be four writers and a whole lot of shit to cover. Though, apparently you actually get paid OT at this paper, so that is good.

10. redsox99

redsox99 Member

Marc David? Is this the same Marc David who worked in Tyler for a time?

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Not sure.
    He is an older cat.

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

larry david?

Draft saved Draft deleted