1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports icons, a running list

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pulitzer Wannabe, Feb 23, 2008.

1. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

This coming from a Liverpool fan, right? :D

You're probably right though.

And despite what some people say about him, you could make a case for Beckham just on popularity alone. That being said, Giggs is the better player from Man U's famous class.

2. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Yeah, I know Dorsett was never a Steeler. Cowboys and Broncos, I think.

These aren't all just regional things, but I thought Dorsett would be an interesting one to bring up. One of the all-time great college running backs at Pitt. He was a Hall of Fame running back in the NFL. But I don't think I'd call him an icon, either.

3. Bullrog

Bullrog Member

Garrincha

Ask any Brazilian who was better.
    Pele would have been nothing without Garrincha.

When they played together on the national team, they never lost a single match.
    He played 50 matches with the national team - they lost just one of those. The other 49 were with Pele.

4. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Bronko Nagurski and John Mariucci? :)

5. JR

JR Well-Known Member

SportsJournalists.com icon: the players I liked most growing up.

6. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

I honestly thought about including him. The trouble is, when you think of Brazilian football history, who's the first guy that comes to mind?

Garrincha's another of the Beckenbauer/Charlton/Eusebio/Puskas/Di Stefano group.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

And it isn't always about who is the best player. That's why I brought up Dorsett earlier. One of the greatest running backs ever at the college and pro levels, but is he an icon?

8. ARD

ARD Member

Joe Willie.

9. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

I've only heard two of these names. You can say that says something about me, but I also believe it says something about their "iconic" status.

10. RedSmithClone

RedSmithClone Active Member

JOE F'n MURPHY!!!!

Former Red Sox manager Kevin Kennedy still asks everyone he sees: "Where is the guy in the hat?"

11. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Eighty-two posts in and no mention of Anthony Young? And you call yourselves experts. ...

12. Boobie Miles

Boobie Miles Active Member

Has there been any mention of Tiger? I'm sure there has, but I haven't seen any.

LeBron is well on his way.

Draft saved Draft deleted