1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Introduction - British BA Hons Sports Journalism graduate

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by MarkPickering, Feb 19, 2008.

1. MarkPickering

MarkPickering New Member

Hello, I'm a 22-year-old BA Hons Sports Journalism graduate from Wales, UK.

Since graduating last year there has been very few opportunities available in the UK and I've been resigned to freelancing. There's very rarely such specific roles as trainee sports reporters and while employers are looking for journalists with say 2/3 years experience at a paper there's no opportunity for graduates like myself to gain such experience.

My aim has always been to learn my trade here and eventually make the move across the pond to further my career.

I was wondering if anyone here has had a similar experience in the US/UK? Any advice for pursuing a career in America would also be appreciated.

Thanks.

2. GB-Hack

GB-Hack Active Member

Never worked in journalism in Britain, but I will say over here the job market is as tough as you make it appear there.

Then there are issues with getting visas and work permits to actually work over here. I arrived here as the spouse of an American, so never had to deal with a potential employer who had to help me out with those things.

Your best bet might be to see if there's a way you can come over here as a student, and become naturalized that way, but the fees you have to pay to apply for residence can be pretty exorbitant as well.

3. forever_town

forever_town Well-Known Member

Did you write for any newspapers as sort of an apprenticeship over there? I can't speak for other hiring managers, especially in a foreign country, but I know I evaluate clips (published stories) closely when I consider someone for an entry level reporting position.

If you didn't, you're in a difficult position. If you did, you can use your clips as part of a package that can help you get an entry level position. It may not be The Times, but most people here don't go straight from university to a prominent beat at a major paper.

4. MarkPickering

MarkPickering New Member

I've recently completed two weeks work experience at the South Wales Argus - http://www.southwalesargus.co.uk/

I have a host of cuttings that range from soccer to tennis, darts and snooker.

I also took a two weeks placement in 2006 at the Press Association as part of my degree.

5. awriter

awriter Active Member

Is that all you did during college? No internships? No part-time work at a paper while in college? I'm just wondering. Because if that's the case, then you are way behind. That said, you should send clips, cover letters and resumes everywhere, to papers big and small (and Web sites and wire services), in North America and Europe or wherever else you're willing to live. You'll have a hard time finding work over here, given the economy and your apparent lack of experience, but you never know. Also, familiarize yourself with football (the American variety) and baseball because there's not much snooker coverage over here.

6. MarkPickering

MarkPickering New Member

At Uni we were required to take the one placement which counted as one of our modules.

I've had work published since I was 16 in a range of publications such as: The Sun, Pro Wrestling Press, BBC, Fighters Only Magazine, DogHouseBoxing, BraggingRightsCorner, Slam Sports, PWInsider, WrestlingObserver, VoiceOfFootball, Total MMA, SportingLife, Team Talk, Soccernet, ECB, Fight World Magazine, Brisbane Broncos, MaxFighting, Fight Opinion, EastSideBoxing, MMA Madness, South Wales Argus, Celtic Crusaders RL, Welsh RL and Cardiff City FC.

I've closely followed the NBA, NFL etc from a pretty young age.

Thanks for the advice so far.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

k... glad to have you here (and I love Cardiff and Swansea)... but... there's a magazine called DogHouseBoxing?

8. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

Mark,

How much online work have you done? This might be up your alley:
    http://www.holdthefrontpage.co.uk/JobsNav.aspx?jid=10980

Bloomberg always seems to be hiring. The ad says "substantial journalism experience," but it couldn't hurt to have a go:
    http://www.journalism.co.uk/cgi-bin/webdata_pro.pl?_cgifunction=form&_layout=Jobsredesign&keyval=jobs.job_id=3971

Otherwise, did you make a good impression at the Argus? If your supervisor can't find anything longer-term for you to do, perhaps they know of another paper that could use you.

9. Dignan11

Dignan11 Member

A writer wrote: Is that all you did during college? No internships? No part-time work at a paper while in college? I'm just wondering. Because if that's the case, then you are way behind.

-- Give me a break with your way behind comments. Some people study in college or even play sports. You can do all the internships you want in college, but if you suck --you're not going to get a job. No internships? Wow.

10. Rumpleforeskin

Rumpleforeskin Active Member

Publisher: Michael Vick

11. awriter

awriter Active Member

Maybe I was a bit harsh, but what you do in the newsroom carries a little more weight than what you do in a classroom. Editors want to see clips, not report cards. Who's more likely to get hired: Someone who interned or worked part-time while in school? Or someone who went to the same school, but has no newsroom experience?

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

No, awriter, you weren't harsh. You were right.

Dignan, you come to me as a recent college grad and tell me you had a 3.9 GPA, played for the baseball team and have no clips ... and I'm going to keep looking deeper in my stack of resumes.

Because when we're putting out seven editions a week, I can't guarantee I'm going to have time to teach you how to maneuver your way around a newsroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted