1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

ON THE ROAD

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Moderator1, Jan 4, 2005.

1. three_bags_full

three_bags_full Well-Known Member

Ooohhh. Ooohh. Me. Me. Pick me.

Dick Russell's Barbecue. It's just west of the 10/65 interchange.

Good barbecue, good seafood, a monster hamburger, beer and a good family atmosphere.

And if you're going to be there for a weekend, check out the Florabama. May be good during the winter. May not. Never been in the off-season.

2. dixiehack

dixiehack Well-Known Member

Anyone have experience getting to/from Stamford, Conn.? As in, is it easier to fly into Hartford or Islip? (the SWA airports for cheapskates like me). How big a pain is it to take the train from Islip into NYC and then switch to the Metro-North line?

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

You're flying into MacArthur Airport in Long Island?

It will be a pain in the ass for you if you try to take the train from Stamford to Islip. You'll have to take Metro-North to Grand Central Station from Stamford. From there, you'll have to hop a cab to Penn Station and take the Long Island Rail Road to Central Islip, where you'll have to take another cab to the airport.

Your best best, honestly, would be to drive from Stamford to Bridgeport, where you can take the Port Jefferson Ferry to Long Island. From there, you can drive to MacArthur.

4. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Would that be easier or harder than flying into Hartford and driving the 1.5-2 hours down to Stamford (or taking a train if there's a train that runs between the two)? That's the question in the original post.

I think I'd rather fly into Hartford and rent a car, but that's just me and I may be in the minority on this one.

5. Looking for some advice from all you New Yawkers out there. I'm in midtown Manhattan for the first time and I'm looking for non-touristy things to do and places to eat (not too expensive). I apologize if there are already suggestions on this thread, but I'm too lazy to wade through 28 pages. :D

6. DocTalk

DocTalk Active Member

A little help please. Heading to Amelia Island next week for a conference. Any suggestions? Thanks.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Ben's Deli near MSG.
    Best corned beef ever.
    And I'm not the biggest corned beef fan, yet I make sure I get there once a baseball trip.

8. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Anyone know a good affordable place to stay in San Francisco? Never been there but I'm going in a few weeks, and there seem to be a bunch of older-looking hotels in the $100-a-night range, but it's hard to tell about the neighborhoods and which ones are bargains and which ones are just cheap.

9. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Reasonably priced place I like alot is Popover's, on Amsterdam Ave. in the upper 70s, I think 78th. It's Upper West side, a neighborhood I got to know a little bit as my wife was living there when we met.

10. The cheapest place to stay in SF is down by the airport but only do that if you have a car available.
    There are a few places near the Wharf that you can get for a decent price, but probably not $100. There are a lot of "older-looking" hotels, boutique hotels in the city. It is hit and miss with those. Anything around Union Square is usually decent.
    I stayed at place called the Handlery on Union Square for New Years a few years ago -- great location, pretty nice place.
    A lot depends on what you are going to be doing in S.F. You can get cheaper places elsewhere in the Bay is you don't mind driving or mass transit.

11. mdpoppy

mdpoppy Member

Any place I should check out in Providence, Rhode Island? Heading out there in a couple weeks ...

12. Savannah, Georgia tips anyone?

Looking for some good places to eat, and somewhere unique to stay, like a bed and breakfast.

Staying on Tybee Island would be fine as well.

Draft saved Draft deleted