1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

When were you conceivied?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Diabeetus, Feb 6, 2008.

1. alleyallen

alleyallen Guest

I tried backtracking from my mid-May birthday, but I can't really find anything special that would have "marked the occasion." I do, however, remember the night Little Man was conceived.

2. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

Halftime of Super Bowl I

3. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

Mid to late July, no real milestones around it; probably just a sweltering hot St Louis night.

Bobby Vinton's "Roses Were Red" was the #1 song in the land at that time (I'll trump your old jmm!), so I'm not thinking there was any musical inspiration to my beginnings...

4. cranberry

cranberry Well-Known Member

My older brother was a honeymoon baby and I was born 11 1/2 months after him, which probably makes me a first anniversary baby -- conceived in October 1957. The scary part is that the parents would always go to the Poconos for a weekend around their anniversary, which means I may have been conceived at the Beautiful Mount Airy Lodge (the host with the most in the Poconos).

5. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

Don't know any special event that would have marked my conception, but I was conceived in mid-late May 1968.

6. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That means the deed was done during the Blizzard of '78, a couple days after the wedding. Lovely.

7. jgmacg

jgmacg Guest

I was originally conceived of in the late 1940s. But the early designs were flawed and relied on obsolete technologies. The project was further delayed by a number of shortages in raw materials, insufficient delivery mechanisms from parts suppliers, and the absence of adequate funding. Everything changed once the transistor became widely available however, especially in home hi-fi systems. This, combined with the simultaneous arrivals in the broader culture of Johnny Mathis and the vodka martini, at last moved the project forward.

Thus, I didn't go into production until the late 50s.

8. Bob Cook

Bob Cook Active Member

March 1969, in the basement of a pinkish house in the woods on the outskirts of Munising, Mich., in a total farmer's daughter moment. (Big-city college boy was living with my 17-year-old birth mother's family while he helped train the local drums corps.) After I met my birth mother, she showed me the house, which looked like the kind of forlorn place you'd see on the news in a story about a teen-aged son who axed his parents.

Strange thing is, I was in ma's belly when she had her first marriage -- which wasn't to my birth father.

9. Captain_Kirk

Captain_Kirk Well-Known Member

A fitting spot to throw in lyrics to an enjoyable, obscure Who song: "905". Feel free to ignore and move on as you please:

Mother was an incubator
    Father was the contents
    of a test tube in the ice box
    In the factory of birth

My name is 905,
    And I've just become alive
    I'm the newest populator
    Of the planet we call Earth

In suspended animation
    My childhood passed me by
    If I speak without emotion
    Then you know the reason why