1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Young, rich and stupid

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by poindexter, Jan 31, 2008.

1. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

60 per cent of NBA players go broke five years after leaving the league

http://www.thestar.com/Sports/article/299119

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

raise your hand if you clicked here thinking Britney was finally chasing cars at Grandma's with Heath Ledger.

3. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Funny on IM, funny on here.

I thought it was a thread about body sculpters/rappers.

4. I'll take two out of three, thanks, and I've already tried the last one.

5. BYH

BYH Active Member

Yeah but Poin what percent ends up working in public schools and banging students?

6. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

If memory serves, SI had a feature on Ron Artest during his rookie year and how wildly he spent. Artest had a staff of about 22 people (family, friends, assorted hangers-on) that he was paying; some cooked, some cleaned, some advised while others were real-life versions of Entourage's Turtle.

Along with paying Team Artest, he was shelling out for cars, houses and various impulse buys from Best Buy. I believe there was a quote from his accountant, who said that Artest was going to end the year without a cent to his name.

7. Stoney

Stoney Well-Known Member

Remember Patrick Ewing's eloquent plea for our sympathy during the 99 Players Strike: "Yeah, we make a lot, but we spend a lot too."

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

This is one of my favorite anecdotes about Artest. Apparently, during his rookie season he was spending a ton of money at Best Buy. During one of his excursions, he chatted up a store employee who told him Best Buy employees get a discount on merchandise. So Artest filled out an application and under references listed Jerry Krause, then the Bulls' GM. A week or two later, the Best Buy store manager called Krause, asking for a reference.

9. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

I've got four people on my payroll. One person cooks, another cleans, some dude starts my car and the other lady wipes my ass. Sure, it gets pricey after a while. But when you've had someone clean your ass for you, how can you back to doing it yourself? It's just not feasible.

10. BYH

BYH Active Member

You can't fend for a fifth to fuck you once a week?

You suck Mikey.

11. Or once a year?

12. TheSportsPredictor

TheSportsPredictor Well-Known Member

The 60% number is just something the players union threw out to scare people. There is no basis to it. The union rep quoted in the article even backs off that number.

I'm sure if anyone did any real investigating of this claim they'll find out how outlandish it is.

Draft saved Draft deleted