1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Prep leader/writer, Birmingham News

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by heyuimintojsus, Jan 11, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. 00Deadline

00Deadline New Member

I talked to someone over there on Tuesday. According to him they were still hiring, giving me the impression the job hadn't been filled internally. I could be wrong, but I think they are waiting for snail-mail applications to roll in.

2. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

what's pay on a gig like this? 40k?

3. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

pay, depending on experience, will be higher than 40K. This ain't a job for the newly graduated or those who want to work 9-5 p.m. It is going to be a shitload of work. they have something like 78 high schools in their coverage area and also have a state presence.

4. I would guess much, much more.

5. For those interested...

Georgias school hires coach of MTV fame despite Alabama “baggage”
    BIRMINGHAM, Ala. (AP) — Rush Propst, who built a football powerhouse at Hoover High School that was featured on MTV's “Two-A-Days,” then left under a cloud last year, has landed a job at rural Colquitt County in Georgia.
    Propst won five state championships in nine years at Hoover, success that made the program the subject of the MTV reality show and landed some of its big games on ESPN. He quit in October after months of controversy over program finances, player eligibility, academics and his personal life.
    Colquitt County Schools Superintendent Leonard McCoy said he believes Propst will run the program in Moultrie, Ga., with integrity.
    “The first thing that attracted us was his success and record,” McCoy told The Birmingham News in a story Thursday. “We realize there's considerable baggage. We will insist that we have a man who represents himself with character and integrity with our children, and I believe coach Propst when he says he'll be a man of integrity.”
    The school board voted 4-2 to hire Propst. McCoy said the two dissenters were against the move because of the coach's notoriety.
    Propst said he was honest during the job interviews and believes a report released by retired federal judge Sam Pointer Jr. on Hoover last fall exonerated him in most cases.

6. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

So is Hoover in the coverage area of the Birmingham News?? If so how much coverage is dedicated to the program?

What other school in the area is a power house in High School Sports not just football.

7. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The News has one of its two intern positions to cover the schools in Hoover -- Hoover, Spain Park (which went to the finals this year and whose coach left to replace the coach at Oxford, who replaced Propst at Hoover) and a smaller Christian school.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

But let me ask a real question. Who is going to cover Rush now that he's in Georgia?

9. Point of Order

Point of Order Active Member

RB,
    Who gets this job?

10. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Isn't this the paper that screwed over those interns a couple of months back?

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Screwed over how?

12. funky_mountain

funky_mountain Active Member

slappy, grifter is thinking of the wrong paper:
    http://www.maynardije.org/columns/dickprince/070618_prince/

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.