1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports writer/designer opening in Danville, Va.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by DrewWilson, Nov 21, 2007.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Please take the bullshit to the bullshit boards.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid response, noob. damn solid. i hope you get the job.

and hey drew: how may resumes do you have sitting on your desk, and when do you think you'll be wrapping this up?

and to be honest, for those applying, i've heard good things about drew even though i've never met him in person.

3. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

I'd wrap it up tonight if I could. I'll be going through the pile next week. I don't know the number off the top of my head, but I'd guess at least 50. Hopefully phone interviews will follow. I head down to Daytona for 10 days for all the racing coverage, so I probably won't be bringing anyone in until after that.

4. Bucknutty

Bucknutty Member

Sorry guys...I was just messing around. I need to start using the sarcasm font, I know.

Tell you what...drinks are on me!

5. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Make mine Long Island tea ..

6. brownsugar

brownsugar New Member

Would it be too late to send in a resume and clips?

7. Sounds like it's never too late for this one.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i just e-mailed mine this morning.

9. Nobody else has a chance

10. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

I don't care either way about this particular job, but how hard would it be for people to restrain themselves for posting BS that has nothing to do with the job or newspaper in question in a jobs-board thread? If you're pretending to be interested in a job, that doesn't count. :) I'm not looking for an answer, it's just a rhetorical question.

11. DrewWilson

DrewWilson Member

Dear board members and interested applicants,

I was informed this afternoon around 4 p.m. that Media General, the company that owns the Register & Bee, has issued a company-wide hiring freeze. I'm told that while the Register & Bee itself hit its goals, other MG properties did not. Therefore, we all get included.

It's an extremly frustrating situation and one I have no control over. Although we posted the job originally in late November and again earlier this month, we did not have final approval to fill it until less than two weeks ago. And now it's frozen. You don't need a rocket scientist to tell you that it's impossible to go through applications, do phone interviews, get a candidate in and offer them a job in less than two weeks.

There is no telling how long the hiring freeze will last. It could be a month, a few months or the rest of the year. For everyone that applied, I'm sorry that I have to inform you of this. I received a lot of good clips. As always, I keep those on file and whenever the freeze is gone, I'll still keep you in mind.

I wish you all the best of luck in your job search.

Drew

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.