1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The Wire: Episode 55

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Simon_Cowbell, Jan 28, 2008.

1. sportsnut

sportsnut Member

All I can say is ending this now kinda sucks but atleast they will go out with a bang. The newspaper story is being taken to a whole new college paper kinda stupid but not stupid enough for me to quit watching lol.

2. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

I don't know.
    Templeton going out and making up quotes doesn't seem like a stretch. Given what they have already shown.
    He's safe, only four people on the show, incuding him, know its bogus. Bunk won't talk even though he doesn't approve.
    Best guess is that story line ends with him winning a big award and then the paper finds out, but sits on it so not to embarass themselves and top editor flees for a top job in let's say L.A.

3. Giggity

Giggity Member

That whole scene, as they left it, was a little unsatisfying. You've got four primary characters gunning it out in a small space - it seems a little too Bruce Willis that they'd all survive. I wouldn't bitch about it with another show, but NOT doing shit like that is what makes The Wire what it is.

The way they filmed Omar going over the balcony, it's going to be hard to come up with a legit explanation to keep him alive. He was going full-tilt and basically dived straight out, so it's not like he could've dropped onto the landing below or grabbed its handrailing or anything.

I mean, I've got some faith they can pull it off since it's The Wire, but it's not going to be easy.

4. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

The Wire has gotten a little incredible in Season 5.

5. HC

HC Well-Known Member

What can I say - McNulty + Templeton = The Perfect Storm of Bullshit

However, Templeton did use an actual name - and a very distinctive name at that - for his fake quote so I see a very real possibility of him getting caught out.

6. long_snapper

long_snapper Member

He used the name of the homeless guy going through a trash can near the Inner Harbor, didn't he? He was the guy who initially said he knew who the killer was.

As someone said earlier, I don't know how Omar survives that jump off the balcony. But you know he will.

and I'm afraid that learning to throw a jab or two won't be near enough to save Dookie.

7. HC

HC Well-Known Member

The heartbreaking quote from Dookie: "How do you get from here to the rest of the world?".

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

I actually thought that entire scene was a rare miss for The Wire. I respect David Mills (who wrote the episode, and is a former newspaper man) but I don't think his teleplay abilities are on par with Simon's, Burns', Lehane's, Price's, Pelecanos'. I really felt that Simon's friendship with Mills let that scene be too over-the-top. Mills, who used to write with Simon on Homicide, hasn't been a member of the writing staff, and so to me, it felt too much like he was trying to write in the voice of what he thought The Wire should sound like. In real life, people don't knowingly speak in metaphors, and although The Wire does this well often (DeAngelo's chess scene; DeAngelo's Great Gatsby scene; Stringer and Avon on the harbor balcony; Bunk's discussion of Lake Trout with Jimmy) I didn't buy it coming from a high school kid with an 8th grade education. That scene, like Bunk's famous speech to Omar ("We had ourselves a neighborhood!"), is one of the few scenes in the series I thought was just too much, too "look-at-me-I'm-trying-to-be" Shakespearian.

9. HC

HC Well-Known Member

I didn't feel that way at all. It was the older person who had use the phrase "the rest of the world" and Dookie just mirrored his language. I thought Dookie's question felt genuine and that it was a question that had to have been on his mind for a very long time.

10. Double Down

I'll watch the scene again, HC, but for now we're going to have to disagree.

11. Simon_Cowbell

Simon_Cowbell Active Member

I don't think you need bubkus in education to come up with that question.

12. Double Down

It just didn't ring true to me. It's just an opinion. I simply do not feel -- especially after watching his short-lived series, Kingpin -- that Mills is on par with the show's other writers.

Draft saved Draft deleted