1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Fort Collins, Colorado

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Gesundheit, Jan 30, 2008.

1. Jeff_Albertson

Jeff_Albertson New Member

It is not a position that will get you in the door at the RMN or Post. The quality of the paper just isn't there.

As mentioned before, this position replaces one of the truly good guys in the biz. He's leaving newspapers altogether. These are some awfully big shoes to fill. The guy owned the CSU beat. I can't imagine this position doesn't include a lot of desk work. Not sure of the number of folks in the department anymore, but they lost another guy recently who did a lot on the desk, and they never replaced him. I am pretty sure everyone there works on the desk.

I heard rumors of some recent layoffs, but I don't know how many people lost their jobs.

2. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Read a couple weeks ago that Gannett was in talks to buy the CSU paper, the name of which I can't remember off the top of my head.

Guess they want to introduce the next generation to paint-by-numbers journalism good and early.

3. Jeremy Goodwin

Jeremy Goodwin Active Member

Yeah, I think there was a thread on the journalism board about that.

4. a_rosenthal

a_rosenthal Guest

Pretty familiar with this paper. If you have any questions, feel free to PM me.
    I believe there were layoffs recently.

5. MileHigh

MileHigh Moderator Staff Member

There were 10 layoffs -- two in the newsroom -- in June.

6. sportsgopher

sportsgopher Member

That they feel pity for your salary -- or that they don't know the difference between commiserate and commensurate -- should say something.

7. Yawn

Yawn New Member

They could get grabbed by the CNHI folks (or fill in the blank), who would make the staff room look like a bank after hours.

8. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Maybe it's a test for the candidate. After all, he/she will be working on the desk, too.

9. mountainman11

mountainman11 New Member

Tremendous town, terrible newspaper

10. TrooperBari

TrooperBari Well-Known Member

OK, I think that's sunk in by now.

What is it that allegedly makes the Coloradoan so terrible?

11. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

1. Gannett.
    2. Do you really need any other reasons?

Honestly, I'm not too familiar with the paper, but I see enough red flags on this thread to see the writing on the wall. One dead giveaway -- the CSU volleyball/women's hoops/preps writer also works desk ... at a 30K-circ paper. Bad sign.

12. dad lives up there, so i will fully echo all with knowledge who have chimed in -- paper is tragically awful beyond any description known to man. it's like a weekly shopper with bylines. check that; it wishes it was a weekly shopper with bylines.

Draft saved Draft deleted