1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SportsBusiness Daily Staff Writer

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Birdscribe, Jan 22, 2008.

1. Birdscribe

Birdscribe Active Member

If you missed the other posting last year, here's another one from SportsBusiness Daily. Not only is this entry-level, but it's a chance to report on a part of the business that is perhaps one of the only growth beats in the industry.

Sports business reporting isn't going away; it's expanding like no other beat.

Soapbox rant over....

SportsBusiness Daily is seeking an entry-level Staff Writer at our Charlotte, NC, headquarters. Qualified candidates will have excellent knowledge of sports and business issues, with equally strong writing and verbal skills. Must also have a solid work ethic and thrive in a team environment. Strong editing and copy-editing skills needed, as well as the ability to work very well under the pressure of a deadline. Computer and Internet skills also required. Interested candidates should provide resume and writing samples to jobs@sportsbusinessdaily.com or fax to (704) 973-1501.

2. I would love, love, LOVE to create this beat at my current shop. I think it's going to be a valuable one in the industry moving forward as we have to move beyond what happened on the field yesterday.

Unfortunately, the guys in my department are pretty between-the-lines, stick-and-ball oriented. They're befuddled when I pitch stories in this realm, let alone a beat built on it.

3. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Some good people have passed through this pub.
    As PW pointed out, it's easier to learn the between-the-lines stuff than this side of sports.

4. DanRPI34

DanRPI34 New Member

Anyone have any suggestions on how to best get clips from a hard copy form into digital without making them look like crap. I've tried scanning and they really aren't readable and I don't want to send crap to a potential employer.

5. turnovers

turnovers Member

Sometimes using a good digital camera works. Just lay the clip by a good light source, like a window, and snap from above. If the camera is 5-6 megapixels or greater, it will probably come in at a fine resolution.

6. andyouare?

andyouare? Guest

It's probably too late for this opening, but if you're good friends, or just friendly, with someone on the desk have them copy you a PDF copy of the paper when you have a good story running.

7. CapeCodder

CapeCodder Member

Any news on this?

8. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

Who? And where did they go? What does anyone else know about the place?

This opening is again posted on the APSE site, in case you're wondering.

9. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Kinkos has really good copy machines. Make the people do it for you.

10. mustangj17

mustangj17 Active Member

Also, this sounds like a really good job that could lead to many different types of reporting beats both sports and non- which would be good to have in this bad time.

11. MrBSquared

MrBSquared Member

Had a friend in line for an editor's position there -- helping run the section, etc. -- and after about a dozen phone calls and one "content selection test" never heard back from them again. A good job? Probably. A growing part of the industry? No doubt. But, not very professional to just drop a candidate without even a cursory Dear John note.

(Edit: OK, found out it was the Web site, not the magazine. Sorry.)

12. DanRPI34

DanRPI34 New Member

Is this a new opening or is this still the same job they advertised for last year. Anyone know if they are still taking applications.

Draft saved Draft deleted