1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

iPod Help Needed

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 17, 2008.

1. Pete Incaviglia

Pete Incaviglia Active Member

Fuck. I bought the wrong one!

2. ColbertNation

ColbertNation Member

For 20-30 bucks at Best Buy, you can buy Tune Transfer software that will pull everything off your IPOD onto your hard drive. It's compatible with both PCs and Macs. It's tedious, but not nearly as much as re-ripping all of your CDs.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Dude, see above.

Shareware available online that does the same thing for free.

4. ARD

ARD Member

Don't worry about being locked in to AAC:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Audio_Coding#Other_software_media_players

Almost all current computer media players include built-in decoders for AAC, or can utilize a library to decode it. On Microsoft Windows, DirectShow can be utilized this way with the corresponding filters to enable AAC playback in any DirectShow based player. Software player applications of particular note include:

Jetaudio is a free media player for Microsoft Windows that plays a large array of formats, including AAC.
    ffdshow is a free open source DirectShow filter for Microsoft Windows operating systems that uses FAAD2 to support AAC decoding.
    foobar2000 is a freeware audio player for Windows that supports LC and HE AAC.
    Winamp for Windows, which includes an AAC encoder that supports LC and HE AAC;
    Songbird (software) for Windows, Linux and Apple Macintosh supports AAC, including the DRM rights management encoding used for purchased music from the iTunes Store, with a plug-in.
    MPlayer or xine are often used as AAC decoders on Linux.
    RealPlayer includes RealNetworks’s RealAudio 10 AAC encoder.
    Another Real product, Rhapsody supports the RealAudio AAC codec, in addition to offering subscription tracks encoded with AAC.
    VLC media player supports playback of MP4 and AAC files.
    Media Player Classic
    XBMC (XBox Media Center) supports both AAC (LC and HE) on modified Xbox game-consoles.
    KSP Sound Player also supports AAC.
    Sony SonicStage also support AAC.
    The KMPlayer also supports AAC.
    XMMS supports mp4 playback using a plugin provided by the faad2 library.
    ConvertDirect.com serves AAC Files using Youtube Video conversion. It converts Youtube video to AACs.
    Some of these players (e.g., foobar2000, Winamp, and VLC) also support the decoding of raw or MP4-contained AAC streamed over HTTP using the SHOUTcast protocol. Plug-ins for Winamp and foobar2000 enable the creation of such streams.

5. Cadet

Cadet Guest

I'll add to this: Internal hard drives, when encased in a USB-output shell, work like gigantic flash (or jump, or USB) drives.

Next time you want extra storage for your computer or need a gigantic flash drive, don't spend $150-300 for something marketed as an "external hard drive." Just buy an internal hard drive in the size you want (mine is 80G) and spend about $15 on a hard drive enclosure with a USB output. Snap the hard drive in, close it up with two little screws and you've got a huge, cheaper external drive. If you get the laptop-sized hard drive it's even smaller and easier to carry. Mine is about the size of my hand, and I back up the entire contents of my machine every few weeks.

The only technical thing you have to pay attention to is the ATA vs. SATA design of the hard drive; get an enclosure to match. This doesn't make a lick of difference in the performance of the drive or the cost, it's more like a Coke/Pepsi thing.

Draft saved Draft deleted