1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

The age old question -- to cover cheerleading or not?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by bigpern23, Jan 8, 2008.

1. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

responsible SEs do not allow their staff's time nor the space in their sections to be eaten up an activity that doesn't even meet the fucking billing of the one word in the flag at the top of the fucking section.

jesus christ. how can you argue this? a cheerleader leads fans in cheers, period. and guess what, i'm not even merriam-fucking-webster yet i still can come to grips with this fact.

if a buncha fucks at your state organization want to call leading cheers a sport, go right ahead and run cheerleading in the sports section. and if a buncha fucks at your state organization want to tell you how to design a page, i hope you take their god damned advice in that realm as well ... it's the same fucking difference.

just don't take offense while the rest of us point and laugh at you.

2. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Well that just upped the ante a bit more rapidly than I had expected.

Did a cheerleader turn you down at some point, Tomas?

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hit the hell out of 'em in high school, IJAG. honestly, me loves me some cheerleaders.

but attempt to bring my ethics into this fucking debate ... well, fuck that. i have my stance because of ethics, not for a lack thereof.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Nobody brought YOUR ethics into this debate. I just honestly can't see how a sanctioned sport in the state in which one works can be ultimately bald-faced ignored just because the SE doesn't agree.

5. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

actually, yes, my ethics were brought into the debate. not directly, but yes.

and for me, IJAG, a bunch of old men who play nothing but politics can sanction any damned event they want as a sport, but it doesn't mean it is. once those old men begin defining my section's content is the day i let them edit copy, make photo choices and layout pages.

6. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Then what's your reason for not doing it Tom? It's not a sport? Because that right there says it is. Your lone point has been proven wrong.

I'm not trying to start something. God knows I don't think cheerleading is a sport. But they've got proof that in that state, for all facts and purposes, it is.

What's your defense?

7. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

i think you didn't understand my lone point, IJAG. i don't give a shit what the old men playing politics think, or believe. i really don't.

my job is to sell newspapers, period. cheerleaders would not sell my section any more than little league ... actually, i'd fathom little league would sell a section more than cheerleading.

please stop thinking i give two shits about members of an association. i don't. i care about two quarters hitting the bottom of a paper rack.

8. Aussie_Nick

Aussie_Nick Member

But they work just as hard!

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

bastard. ;)

10. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

Or, even worse, an advertiser who has a daughter on the team.

11. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Standing on what some state association says about it doesn't mean a thing. That's where my hopscotch analogy which you so roundly booed comes in. There is no reason in the world to take their word for it that anything is a sport.

Translation: You're going to have to have better documentation than that to sway me that cheerleading is a "sporting event."

12. bydesign77

bydesign77 Active Member

The GHSA recognized One-Act for the longest time as a varsity competition.

Draft saved Draft deleted