1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clemens Finally Sues

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Pete Incaviglia, Jan 7, 2008.

1. Philosopher

Philosopher Member

You're not wrong. However the point of the suit was not to win, it was PR. That's why they loaded up the complaint with all sorts of trivia about Clemens. A typical complaint would read nothing like this. It's just a marketing ploy.

2. Mmmm_Donuts

Mmmm_Donuts Member

That phone conversation sounded staged. McNamee didn't insist Roger took steroids, but he didn't say apologize for his statements or admit lying, either. The whole "what do you want me to do" part of it sounds just like someone who know he's ratted out his friend and now feels sorry for it.

3. Pancamo

Pancamo Active Member

Roger said he has always been concerned about putting things into his body. If he was so concerned why did he have a trainer inject the B12 and not a Doctor. When Roger asks people where did he get the steroids someone needs to ask where did he get injectable Lidocaine and B12.

Is GNC running a Post-Christmas special on the Lidocaine/B12 cocktail?

4. SigR

SigR Member

exactly. Which makes me wonder why they would release that phone conversation at all. I kept waiting for a bombshell statement by McNamee, something like "I lied" or "I know you didn't do it", but it's just how you described it: A guy who owes a lot to Roger both professionally and as a friend torn between that friendship and the truth.

All that said, what if McNamee knew it was likely Clemens was taping the conversation and talked like he did to make Roger look bad. If McNamee has a lawyer, it's likely he was prepped in what to say if Roger called.

It's a mess, and I feel bad for the guy who is telling the truth.

5. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

The phone conversation sounded like something from a cop show, with two guys who both thought the other one might be wearing a wire. If Clemens is innocent, though, I don't know why he didn't ask McNamee right out, "Why did you lie about me?" McNamee's answer to that question might have told us which one was telling the truth. The fact that Clemens didn't ask it makes me doubt him even more.

6. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

At least half of the phone conversation was staged. That being Clemens' side. Which makes the fact that he never accused McNamee of lying about him stand out.

spnited, I don't think Clemens was asking if he should spend millions just to get an apology. It was more like him complaining about having to do it again, knowing that he would not get anything more than an apology if he was completely vindicated.

He was pissed from the opening statement, saying he didn't even want to look at some of the people in the room because of things they had written or said about him.

In other words, a lot of what he was doing was trying to blame the media for his troubles.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

No doubt, oop, he was saying why spend millions when all I'm gonna get is an apology.

8. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

spnited, true. I just meant that it sounded more like a declaration of what would happen than a question of whether he should do it or not. As if he has no choice in the matter. Just bitching to hear himself bitch.

Though, to be fair, that would be consistent with the kind of anger somebody might feel if they were unfairly accused.

9. spnited

spnited Active Member

Exactly

10. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

I watched 80 percent of the news conference today, and can someone clarify something I believe I either missed or it just wasn't stated.

Was McNamee made aware the conversation was being recorded?

11. Guy_Incognito

Guy_Incognito Well-Known Member

No.

12. spnited

spnited Active Member

The lawyer explained that by Texas and NY law (McNamee was in NY) only one party -- in this case Cemens -- has to consent to being taped. Didn't matter if McNamee knew

Draft saved Draft deleted