1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

I am above the rules if it's my religion...

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by markvid, Jan 1, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. markvid

markvid Guest

http://cbs11tv.com/local/woman.bible.get.2.620431.html

Sounds like this woman thought she could do anything since it was a Bible reading.
    Sorry, lady...cell phones, bibles, etc, you're loud, you're gone.

2. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I think she was arguing the freedom of religious expression vs. the bus's rules. And I'd like to know what defines loud. Whispering in a library is considered a distraction.

Having said this, I don't really have a problem with the bus's rules. I'm just trying to read her mind-set and I doubt she was thinking she was "above it all." She was reading to her kids, for crying out loud. Not trying to win converts.

3. ondeadline

ondeadline Well-Known Member

It's not clear from the story exactly how loud she was. If she was reading very loudly, I could see that it would be irritating and there apparently is a sign on the buses saying that people shouldn't be loud. It sounds like it's open to interpretation. But if she was told to stop and she didn't, that's clearly her problem.

4. markvid

markvid Guest

"She then said, 'Well I don't think this is the place or the time to do so.' And I said, 'Oh, but it's the perfect time and the perfect place since it is our Sabbath and it is the time with the Lord and therefore I'm going to continue.' And I continued," she explained.
    This is the part that makes me think she thought she's above it all.

5. Yawn

Yawn New Member

A somewhat different account... the T supervisor took her to church and another official saying verbatim it wasn't what she was saying, but how.
    http://www.star-telegram.com/news/story/384993.html

6. Trucha

Trucha Member

If she was reading to her kids, she was trying to win converts ... unless, of course, she had already converted them.

7. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Agreed. I'm glad she got tossed. It's not persecution if you refuse to respect the wishes of the driver. It's you, miss bible reader, being an ass.

8. Yawn

Yawn New Member

I think that falls under parental authority and the right to raise one's kids according to their choosing.

9. Trucha

Trucha Member

... but still trying to win converts, yes?

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

I thought this was about the new football coach at Hoover High School.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

That's a fine line, though...yes, raise your kids how YOU want, not what others think is right...however, she broke rules on the bus and tried so say so what...

12. Yawn

Yawn New Member

'

I haven't argued with that Mark.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.