1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

error messages on Internet Explorer

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Dec 30, 2007.

1. gingerbread

gingerbread Well-Known Member

In the box where you report the error, there is a line, I think on the lower left, that asks if you'd like more info. Click it and it will guide you through updates.
    I only reported the error a dozen times before I figured it might be wise to see if I could decipher "more info." ::) Shockingly, I could.

2. ARD

ARD Member

If you're using IE6 with XP SP2, there's a bug in a recent patch that can cause problems: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/946627

3. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, the only way I have to get onto the Internet on that computer is through IE and IE won't even open now.

4. 2muchcoffeeman

2muchcoffeeman Well-Known Member

You can't sign on to AIM, ICQ or Yahoo Messenger?

5. Smallpotatoes

Smallpotatoes Well-Known Member

I don't have any of those things.

6. 2muchcoffeeman

IJAG doesn't know why she just went into shock. :D

Could be e-mailed as a (very large) attachment, I suppose; downside there is that many e-mail systems limit sizes on file attachments.

Next time you're passing by Wal-Mart or some such place, stop in and buy a copy of Maximum PC magazine. They include a CD-ROM which has game demos and a decent amount of free software, like Firefox and OpenOffice.

7. markvid

markvid Guest

Actually, coffee, the original file to install is very small...it is just the starting point, then it goes on-line to grab a much bigger file.
    I'd almost suggest to small to try to reinstall it and see what happens.

8. 2muchcoffeeman

5.7 megabytes is not very small, sir.

9. markvid

markvid Guest

Compared to what comes after? Sure it is...
    5.7 is basically 2 good quality photos in an email attachment.

10. 2muchcoffeeman

I've installed Firefox on multiple computers, and my firewall has never reported back that the installer was trying to get on the Internet.

And depending on how Small accesses the Internet, 5.7 megs can be quite a package.

11. markvid

markvid Guest

Right, Firefox is self-contained, you are right.
    IE is so bogged down with junk it's not.

12. 2muchcoffeeman

IE is a classic example of code bloat. Lots of better browsers out there ... been using K-Meleon lately, and it's not bad at all. Not as extensible as Firefox, but doesn't use

Draft saved Draft deleted