1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, copy editor

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by playthrough, Dec 19, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

(From the ACES site)

The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review seeks copy editors with strong word skills who write compelling headlines. We're looking for copy editors on the sports desk, the news desk and the desk of an alternative daily. We want copy editors who aren't afraid to ask questions and challenge assumptions. Pagination and design skills are a plus. The Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, circulation 200,000, is based in one of the few American cities with competing, independently owned newspapers. Trib offices are on Pittsburgh's North Shore, between the Pirates' PNC Park and the Steelers' Heinz Field. Pittsburgh is home to several universities and has a thriving arts scene. Applicants must have at least three years' experience on a daily newspaper with a circulation of at least 50,000.

Send work samples and resume to: Mark Gruetze, Administrative Editor, Pittsburgh Tribune-Review, 503 Martindale St., Pittsburgh, PA 15212. E-Mail: mgruetze@tribweb.com <mailto:mgruetze@tribweb.com> . The Trib is an equal opportunity employer.

2. OrangeGrad

OrangeGrad Member

It's kind of silly that this is a smaller (and worse) paper than the Atlanta JC, yet it's this one with the requirement involving circulation size. As has been said before, nothing like making sure you limit your applications.

3. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

The trouble that place has had finding desk people in the past, setting limits on the applications is nuts.

4. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

Those circulation limits are BS. I worked for a 30K and they wanted an answer as to whether I would take the job before I left the building. I said no a couple of days later.

5. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

I've heard a thing or two about the hard sell mode they go into when they offer a job.

6. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Wow, haven't heard stories about hard sells in this business in a while. Nice to hear about potential hires being treated like used-car buyers.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Same thing happened to me in Eau Claire two years ago. ME looked at me cross-eyed when I told him I'd need a few days, it got worse when I told him it was because I was being flown in for an interview at a different paper, and he damn near shit a brick over the phone when I declined the offer three days later.

8. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Sounds like you made the right choice. Any editor who tried to twist my arm into accepting a gig like that would be someone I'd turn down.

9. SouthPaw

SouthPaw New Member

Had an interview for a similar position here two years ago. Or at least it was advertised as such until I got there and Mr. Gruetze told me there was not actually a position open currently.

I should have walked out right there, but I had driven a ways to get there (for which I'd be compensated, of course). After sticking around and taking a few editing tests (should a position open in the future, naturally), I went home.

Still waiting for the mileage check...

Steer clear, particularly of Gruetze.

10. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

That's amazing. I applied for a writing job and they flew me up. When I got there, he told me the position was filled and that I was applying for a copy editor job. This place is super sketchy when it comes to making hires and reporting who will become the Steelers head coach.

11. Keystone

Keystone Member

It's not just the Trib. I've run into places over the yeas that advertise a job, then tell you they only wanted to have resumes on file in case it ever opened up.

About 10 years ago my wife applied for an apparent opening at a paper in NC and after the sitdown with the ME and the editing test was told they just wanted to evaluate her for future openings. We both fumed about that one until a daily in a neighboring county had a legitimate opening for her.

12. PHINJ

PHINJ Active Member

Most newspapers put you through so much horseshit to get a job -- multiple interviews, interminable waiting periods, tryouts -- you better make sure what they expect is clearly defined and that you like the working conditions.

One thing I like to make clear in job interviews is that I'm there to interview THEM.

Draft saved Draft deleted