1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Corrections of the year

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by ondeadline, Dec 12, 2007.

1. My fave from 2007, from the LA Times:

FOR THE RECORD:
    Herndon obituary: The obituary of Doolittle Raider Nolan A. Herndon in Monday's California section gave his nickname as Sue. In fact, he was known only as Nolan Anderson Herndon. In addition, his sons were listed as Nolan A. "Sue" Herndon Jr. and James M. "Debbie" Herndon. Neither son goes by those nicknames; Sue and Debbie are the names of their wives. —

2. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

I liked this one:

3. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

They probably wanted to watch her, just to ensure she wasn't a zombie.

4. Some Guy

Some Guy Active Member

Maybe your reporter watches too much Jim Rome.

5. I ran a headline with "So-And-So School Headline Here."

Luckily we caught it for makeover.

I also wrote a basketball preview this year with my top five matchups of the season. I ranked a game in the top five that wasn't even going to be played. These two rivals have played on the opposite side of the bracket for the last 15 years and this year one backed out to go to a more prestigious tournament.

I got an e-mail from one of the school's coaches and the tournament director that I owed them both dinner. Nice.

6. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

We busted a headline pretty good this week. Instead of sentencing Michael Vick for 23 months, we put him away for 23 years. And when we ran a correction the next day, we had 23 years again.

7. RedCanuck

RedCanuck Active Member

We didn't make the mistake, but it's bound to happen. I guess a prominent local politician's name is flagged every time in our spell checker and the top answer on the list of suggestions is Hitler. I think we need to fix our spell checker before someone hits the wrong button.

8. MTM

MTM Well-Known Member

I worked in a city where the female mayor's name was Genis. The spellcheck always came up "Penis," which accidently got in once.

9. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

"Keep your penis to your genis." [/horriblecavemenshow]

10. SoCalDude

SoCalDude Active Member

Our spellchecker stops on Odom (as in Lamar) and wants to change it to Doom. A miss stroke put that in the paper once.
    We are more careful with Angels pitcher Chris Bootcheck. Spellcheck suggests Buttocks.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

I actually know the guy responsible for this one, and while I felt bad for him, it's still pretty f-ing funny.

http://independent-mail.com/news/2007/oct/22/no-excuses-headline-was-wrong-heres-real-story/

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

http://media.www.dailyfreepress.com/media/storage/paper87/news/2007/12/03/Corrections/Correction-3128371.shtml?reffeature=htmlemailedition

Draft saved Draft deleted