1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Clarion-Ledger drops Southern Miss beat

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by HejiraHenry, Dec 10, 2007.

1. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

I'm reliably informed that the "statewide" Mississippi paper will be using Southern Miss coverage from its Hattiesburg sister paper starting Jan. 1.

In a related matter, USM beat writer Tim Doherty is out in Jackson.

2. Miles O'Toole

Miles O'Toole Member

I had also heard that as well and was waiting for that to pop up on here. That's pretty pathetic, but unfortunately not surprising with the way the industry is going these days. I hope Tim lands on his feet very soon.

3. Bill Brasky

Bill Brasky Active Member

Stay classy Big G.
    Shit, Hattiesburg is closer to Jackson than Oxford or Starkville. Granted, there aren't as many Southern Miss grads/fans reading the paper as Ole Miss/MSU folks, but still.
    Maybe I can see not replacing that spot once Tim Doherty leaves (you got to keep that 30% profit margin somehow), but it seems kind of crappy to dump a guy like that. Especially one you hired from Hattiesburg a few years ago.

4. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

Out? As in fuckin' see ya?
    Nice business.

5. HejiraHenry

HejiraHenry Well-Known Member

Not a new invention in this sector. I got my thumbs slammed in the door by Mother Gannett once upon a time, when I tried to invoke my return to a paper where I had a standing invitation to return.

But, I walked away under my own power and my life is much better for it.

I can only wish the story for Tim – who I do not know – turns out as well.

6. Moderator1

Moderator1 Moderator Staff Member

I knew Tim very well back in the day when my travels took me in that direction frequently. Great guy, hard worker, strong reporter. I can't believe any of that changed.

7. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

Sounds like par for the course for Gannett.

8. 2underpar

2underpar Active Member

doubt rusty is very happy about this development.

9. Dropping USM coverage is embarrassing, but forgivable

Kicking a reporter to the curb -- not to mention a longtime Gannett employee (at two papers) -- is much worse.

10. Magnum

Magnum Member

I shouldn't be surprised, but really I am shocked that they would fire a guy just because they eliminated his beat. That's crazy.

11. BYH

BYH Active Member

Status quo at the JRC.

12. terrier

terrier Well-Known Member

Reminds me of the day Modell announced the Browns' move to Baltimore. Before Modell was even finished speaking, Jelenic was on the phone to the publisher of his Cleveland-area paper to lay off the Browns' beat writer. Not reassign - lay off.
    There may be some cool people in hell, but it's not worth it to have Jelenic within breathshot.

Draft saved Draft deleted