1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sports Writer, Albany, Ga.

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by rat fink, Dec 5, 2007.

1. rat fink

rat fink New Member

The Albany Herald has an opening for a talented, energetic sports writer to join our award-winning staff. We're looking for a team player who is versatile, since we cover everything from local and regional preps and universities to SEC/ACC football. We also have an arena2football team and a minor league baseball team in its second year. While this job is primarily writing, there is some desk work and copy editing involved as well, so you will need to be skilled at Quark. To apply, send a letter, your resume, five of your best clips and three references to Dany Aller, sports editor, The Albany Herald, P.O. Box 48, Albany, Ga. 31702, or e-mail danny.aller@albanyherald.com.

2. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden New Member

Just a word of warning for those who want to apply for this: I'd be very wary if I were you. The job is a decent chance to cut your teeth on some challenging beats, but the work environment is terrible (very controlling atmosphere that will be unpleasant for those who enjoy flexibility, creativity and freedom), the money is below average and the city leaves a bit to be desired. Turnover at the paper has been through the roof over the past year-plus. If you want more details, feel free to PM me.

3. What's the circulation here? Pay possibilties?

4. thegrifter

thegrifter Member

not nearly enough for the hell you'll be living in

5. Floyd

Floyd Member

Pay will likely be in the $23k-$26k range, depending on experience.

Circulation is at about 26k, 32k on Sundays.

They also have next to no Web presence. Check it out for yourself (www.albanyherald.com) if you want to get a first- hand view.

I'm a former employee and would be more than happy to discuss the ups and downs of the job or life in Albany with anyone thinking of applying.

6. In Cold Blood

In Cold Blood Member

how big of a staff there? Are the ACC/SEC regularly covered?

7. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

There are three full-time writers (when this position is filled) and a sports editor. There are also a couple of part-timers that help with gamers.

The SE works desk (usually) 5 nights a week and the other writers rotate on desk those remaining 2 nights.

They cover U of Georgia football on a weekly basis. The beat writer drives to Athens every Tuesday for media day and then to wherever the game is (it's about a 3.5-hour drive each way to Athens). Covered 11 of the 12 UGA games this season (minus at Vandy).

I'm not sure how they are handling the UGA beat, though, since that's the person that left.

As for the other ACC/SEC teams, the other writers get a chance to cover G Tech, FSU and Auburn. However, nothing's really set on that going into the year. In 2006, 4 Auburn home games, but this year, none were covered. In 2006, a couple FSU games were covered; this year, a couple were also attended. There were about four of Tech's home games covered this season.

Hope that helps.

8. deskslave

deskslave Active Member

Having driven from Athens to Macon on more than a few occasions, I can't imagine Albany to Athens and back every week is much fun. You'd rack up some mileage, but you might end up spending it on speeding tickets with all the crappy small towns you have to pass through. Remember, most of that drive isn't on the interstate.

Not sure why they'd go so all out on UGA when FSU is much closer. Yeah, Albany's in Georgia, but there's quite a few FSU fans in that part of the state, just because of proximity.

And if I remember my Georgia preps correctly, Albany is an anomaly in that its predominant sport is basketball, rather than football.

And, yes, Albany is a hole.

9. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

But will you get to cover mighty Darton College? :p

10. Scrubs

Scrubs Member

Hey, Darton DOMINATES NJCAA Division II golf like noone has in years.
    Albany's not a great town, but it's not a hole. And that staff has produced some pretty damn good writers in recent years, including three who are at much larger papers now and a couple of more who should be.

11. InDaBoonies

InDaBoonies New Member

Any word on this job?

12. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

No. Eight days, dude. Simmer down.

Draft saved Draft deleted