1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

SI Sportsman of the Year

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by Left_Coast, Dec 4, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Saying Chris Benoit should be Sportsman of the Year is like voting him for Father of the Year. Doesn't make sense.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

No different from some of the controversial Men of the Year for Time Magazine. Man/Sportsman of the Year doesn't always have to be a "good/nice" person. Sometimes it's someone who makes a great impact, positive or negative, and sometimes it's a Vicodin addict. (Hi buckdubs and Zeke!)

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

It's a little different, because I don't remember many SI Sportsmen of the Year who were chosen for "the most impact" without that impact being in most ways viewed as positive.

I could be wrong, as I don't have a list in front of me, but I really doubt Bonds or Benoit were ever in the running, for instance.

4. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Well, Hitler and Osama actually had a major impact on the world and on this nation. Benoit's impact wasn't even Top 5 in this year alone.

5. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I'm not saying it has been a criteria for SOY, but I think it should be. Grow some balls, SI, and take a chance once in a while.

6. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

So let's name Michael Vick SOY then, while we're at it.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Why? Has there been a major dogfighting ring busted among NFL players? What impact has he had, besides on the Falcons and canines in eastern Virginia?

8. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

I was going along the same logic that Chris Benoit should be named SOY. Both did horrible, malicious things, but they go hand-in-hand with the impact they had.

9. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Wlat [/bym]

10. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Excellent.

11. MU_was_not_so_hard

MU_was_not_so_hard Active Member

Dude, canine-Americans. Please.
    Thank you.

12. broadway joe

broadway joe Guest

It's called "Sportsman" of the Year, as in, someone who exemplifies good sportsmanship. There is no way that Bonds or Benoit fits that description. There's a reason they don't call it Man of the Year or Athlete of the Year or the Most Influential Person in Sports. Just being a major newsmaker doesn't cut it.

Draft saved Draft deleted