1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 29, 2007.

1. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Kind of like from print to the Internets.

2. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

He did hit over .300 in the second half of the season last year.

3. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Do not be seduced by the Tao of Junk. He is, somehow, that rare ballplayer who is much less than the sum of his parts.

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Be sure to tell yourself that the first time he 10-hops the cutoff man. ;D

5. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

SEC-Big Ten, AL-NL, Catholic-Protestant, Simon-Reality -- whichever side you come down on in all of these great debates of our time, all can agree with two simple facts:

The chick in the Tim Tebow picture has magnificently large breasts.

And Junk Jones ain't shit.

6. Hank_Scorpio

Here's the final list of players the Tigers gave up:

Maybin, Miller, Dallas Trahern, Eulogio De La Cruz, Burke Badenhop and Mike Rabelo.

Trahern was a top prospect at AAA, De La Cruz was considered a strong back of the bullpen guy. Both are likely very close to major league ready.

I'm starting to think they overpaid just a little. Consider the Tigers just dropped their first, third, seventh and 11th rated prospects.

7. And when they develop into full-fledged stars at the big league level, they can jump to the AL too. Hooray!

8. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Per Rosenthal, Cabrera and Willis traded to Detroit

Nice deal for the Tigers.

http://msn.foxsports.com/mlb/story/7525396?MSNHPHMA

I would think that this move would force the Twins to take the Red Sox' package of Crisp, Lester, Lowrie and Masterson for Johan.

9. Hank_Scorpio

I wonder if they are going to put Cabrera in LF and leave Inge at 3B.

Supposedly Cabrera has got in better shape and has lost a bunch of weight, replacing it with muscle mass.

10. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

Good. Get those two guys out of the NL East. See if I give a shit. ...

Cabrera, with weight or not, is a fucking star, and he'll be one until about 2019. That cat can fucking rake, and so can Willis, which won't help the Tigers more than six times a year -- not counting the World Series, should they got that far.

Willis has lost some stuff over the last few years:

2005: 22-10, 236.3 IP, 170 Ks, 2.63 ERA
    2006: 12-12, 223.3 IP, 160 Ks, 3.87 ERA
    2007: 10-15, 205.3 IP, 131 Ks, 5.17 ERA

Maybe that's in part because his division has become a power in the National League -- at least from an offensive standpoint with the Braves, Phillies and Mets -- or maybe it's because the Marlins were decent in 2005 and have sucked ball after ball the last two years. Regardless, Willis hasn't been getting things done.

Time will tell in this deal, but I'd say by adding a left-handed starter, who's used to being a No. 1, and throwing him into a lesser role, and getting Miguel Fucking Cabrera is a step in the right direction.

Andrew Miller and Cameron Maybin might end up being solid players and maybe better than that. But Cabrera, 24, and Willis, 25, are already proven All-Stars and probably will be invited back to play that extra game in July several times before they hang up their cleats.

Advantage Detroit.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Yea, you're right, Mike. But it could turn advantage Marlins if the Tigers don't eventually sign the two to contract extensions.

I believe they are both eligible after the 2009 season.

12. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Would the Tigers really let them go? Won't Maggs and Sheffield be off the payroll by then?

Draft saved Draft deleted