1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Hot Stove Thread

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 29, 2007.

1. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

The Tigers will hit, whether this deal goes through or not.

The bullpen is the big concern, as Hank said.

2. BYH

BYH Active Member

Assuming the Santana deal goes thru, there are at least five teams in the AL better than the Yankees:

Red Sox
    Tigers
    Angels
    Blue Jays
    Indians

If the Mariners add Erik Bedard, you can add them to the list too.

If I'm Brian Cashman or Hank Steinbrenner or George Costanza or whomevrer the fuck is running the Yankees, I'm on the horn with the Twins asking them what it'll take to get Santana. Then I'd add a prospect or two just to make sure it went thru.

3. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

I don't know think Thames is going to be the fulltime starter in LF. Remember they did get Jacque Jones too.

And hell, Pudge is likely batting ninth in that order.

I still want to see who the two minor league prospects are before I fully decide on this deal, tho.

4. BYH

BYH Active Member

Man, those would have to be two monster prospects to convince you the deal was no good. Look at this rotation:

Verlander
    Willis
    Bonderman
    Rogers
    Robertson

Pretty good. Especially if Bonderman puts his shit together.

As for the bullpen, I wouldn't sweat it just yet. Weren't Zach Miner and Chad Durbin reasonably effective set-up men for a while this year? You can always find set-up men on the scrap heap. There's only a handful of teams (cough, the Yankees, cough cough) guaranteed NOT to come up with set-up men no matter how hard they try.

5. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Oh I didn't say I didn't like it. I think the only way I wouldn't like it is if Porcello or Dallas Trahern or someone like that was included.

So far, it looks like Maybin, Miller, Mike Rabelo, and Burke Badenhop and two others (which I'm guessing would be mid to low level).

6. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

I can understand all the other teams EXCEPT the Blue Jays. How in bloody blue fuck can you seriously think that the Blue Jays are a better team than the Yankees? Also, I think the Yanks should see if they could get Haren for a cheaper price than Santana. But I agree that if New York wants to continue seeing itself among the four best AL teams, they must find a way to land a proven, successful pitcher (re: no one-year NL wonders).

7. BYH

BYH Active Member

No worries about Porcello, he can't be traded for his first calendar year as a pro.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

You have no idea how much that last sentence makes me laugh. :D

9. PhilaYank36

PhilaYank36 Guest

If this was a fantasy league deal, this would have been vetoed within a day.

10. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Partly because you could only find Maybin and Miller on a fantasy roster.

11. The constant funneling of talent from the NL to the AL is heartbreaking.

12. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

For NL fans, it has to be.

Fuck, the AL East and Central seem to just be talent Hoovers, sucking up everything in sight.

Draft saved Draft deleted