1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll-SEND YER D@MN BALLOTS IN SO I CAN FINISH THIS PUPPY

Wow.

2. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll-SEND YER D@MN BALLOTS IN SO I CAN FINISH THIS PUPPY

They're 10th in my poll right now, so if they beat Georgia, they'd certainly move up. But their resume has nothing close to a Georgia win, and it's really hard to extrapolate what they might do against Georgia based on their WAC + wack schedule.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You absofuckinglutely suck.

4. Elliotte Friedman

Elliotte Friedman Moderator Staff Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll-SEND YER D@MN BALLOTS IN SO I CAN FINISH THIS P

My ballot:

1-5: Hawaii, LSU, Ohio State, Oklahoma, Georgia. Last weekend's results only reinforce my resolve to rank Hawaii at the top. For someone to be unbeaten this season is impressive. LSU is ahead of OSU because I believe they are the best team in the country, even with two losses.

6-10: Virginia Tech, Missouri, USC, Kansas, Florida. Mizzou is ahead of USC because it lost to Oklahoma twice and not Stanford once.

11-15: West Virginia, Arizona State, Boston College, Tennessee, Illinois. I wanted to drop WVU out of the Top 25 after seeing them lose to Pittsburgh despite WWE-esque officiating. Didn't drop BC or UT. They lost to better teams in conference championships.

16-20: Clemson, Virginia, Texas, BYU, South Florida.

21-25: Boise State, Wisconsin, Auburn, Michigan, Cincinnati. No way am I putting Wisconsin the top 20.

5. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll - Final regular season 12/2

By SLAPPY 4428
    SportsJournalists.com POLLMASTER

Has it been four months already?

It seems like, heckfire, just three months ago that Michigan, Louisville, Wisconsin and Texas were top five teams. And before you could say Appalachian, they disappeared quicker than Tom Petty's manhood.

We started the season with Southern Cal and LSU as the top two teams; we end the season with Ohio State and LSU as the top two teams. Only difference is that the order is reversed.

Yes, bucking trends until the bitter end, we here at SportsJournalists.com have reversed the order and made sure the SEC once again screwed over the Big Ten. Unlike last year when the SEC screwed the Big Ten not once but twice.

Speaking of the SEC, I would remiss if -- in this diarrhea of the fingers ranting -- if I didn't offer up this little song from a radio station in Monroe, La. We've bashed him all year, and by golly, at $666,666 a win (or a loss, depending on how you look at things) we're going to bash him again by posting The Ballad of Nick Saban.

We've seen good coaches leave (Lloyd Carr, Chan Gailey), bad coaches leave (Bill Callahan, Dennis Franchione) and the SEC once again figure if you can't beat 'em, hire 'em.
    We've also seen the rebirth of the underdog, in Hawaii and Boise State. And to get serious for a second (one-thousand-one... ), while they might not play in a power conference, Boise State has proven to be every bit the lasting power to college football in the 2000s as Gonzaga was to college basketball in the 1990s.

Think about it. You can dismiss them as a lightweight all you want, but every year the record is good, every year they pick up quality wins and every year teams are afraid to play them. And this year, Hawaii beat them to carry the mantle.

They might not be members of the BCS BS, but you can't dismiss them outright any more. However, it is far easier to look down your nose at them because of the way football is structured.

Speaking of noses, this year's major disappointments? Notre Dame with Fat Charlie; Cal (13th), Rutgers (15th), UCLA (19th) and Nebraska (21st) -- all of which were ranked in the preseason poll and none of whom got a single vote in the final one; and Michigan, which tanked early and got injured when the ship started to right itself.

Biggest improvement? Simple, Kansas, which didn't get a vote in the first poll, didn't crack the top 25 until Week 5 and wound up getting a BCS berth (in and of itself an amazement).
    Let us not forget the Be Sharps-like roller coaster ride of South Florida, Kentucky, and South Carolina -- only without the Grammy Award.

In true, SportsJournalists.com fashion, this will be forgotten over time -- much like BYH and Jesus Muscatel needing gentle little prodding that not only is the poll due on Monday, but every Monday.
    Face it, it's not like football can hold a candle to unplugged refrigerators, handmade bras or demonstrably and provably annoying footwear.

But for the last four months, we've had fun, provoked some arguments and harassed each other -- which is not only the spirit of the site, but of college football in general. And in true sj fashion, we'll have a reunion after all the bowls are done, because we have to get the last word.

And when people tell you you're nuts for ranking a team so high or low, you can now say "I'm an SportsJournalists.com poll voter, back off." They'll still kick your ass but you can feel better about yourself.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    12/02/2007
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. LSU (8 ) 772 6
    2. Ohio State (15) 767 3
    3. Oklahoma 727 10
    4. Georgia (1) 705 4
    5. Southern Cal (1) 662 13
    6. Virginia Tech 648 7
    7. Hawaii (8 ) 647 8
    8. Missouri 614 2
    9. Kansas 589 5
    10. West Virginia 550 1
    11. Florida 504 11
    12. Arizona State 446 15
    13. Illinois 410 13
    14. Boston College 340 12
    15. Clemson 297 17
    16. Texas 296 16
    17. Tennessee 295 14
    18. Wisconsin 258 18
    19. BYU 255 20
    20. Cincinnati 169 21
    21. Virginia 159 22
    22. Boise St. 146 23
    23. South Florida 121 24
    24. Auburn 108 25
    25. Texas Tech 62 NR

Also receiving votes: Arkansas 59; Oregon 26; Central Florida 21, Navy 15; Michigan 14; Connecticut 14; Wake Forest 12; Air Force 10; Oregon State 6; Troy 1.

SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), Oz, Huggy, The Good Doctor, Elliotte Friedman, Hockeybeat, Starman, Eagleboy, Hank Scorpio, Sportschick, Mystery Meat, Barsuk, Della9250, Mayfly, Songbird, dparker85, Gutter, Buckweaver, sxysprtswrtr, Orville Redenbacher, spnited, Idaho, Joel Hammond, HackWilson191, BYH, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Rufino, Trooper Bari, Jesus_Muscatel, GB-Hack; OJ1414.

6. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll-Final Regular Season Poll 12/2

by texas tech do you mean tom petty's balls?

7. Mystery_Meat

Mystery_Meat Guest

Wow. Southern Cal goes up eight spots because they beat UCLA, passing Va. Tech, which only went up one despite beating a ranked Boston College. We have wacky voters (said the guy who keeps giving Wake Forest votes)

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Well, no. I meant your actual balls, that your wife keeps safe from any overuse

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll-Final Regular Season Poll 12/2. Page 46

thanks for clearing that up slapass. ;)

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll-Final Regular Season Poll 12/2. Page 46

I'm here for ya, brother

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

When I came up with the idea of doing a Top 25 poll, I thought it would be a cool idea. It turned out to dominate my Sunday and Monday each week and a couple of times I wanted to give it up.

What I received in the mail today made it all worthwhile. Not the physical gift, but the thought that all of you appreciated the idea.

Thanks to each and every one of you who took the time to share your picks (even if you needed more than a little prompting, and I'm looking at you, Bitter Sportschick Muscatel), your thoughts and your arguments from the bottom of my heart.

Final poll is due Jan. 8 at noon CST. Don't be late.

12. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

That's an almagamation, Slap, whose time will never come.

So I won't be late on the 8th ... promise ... I swear ... no I mean it, my man ...

Draft saved Draft deleted