1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who's No. 1 tomorrow?

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by DisembodiedOwlHead, Nov 25, 2007.

?

Who's No. 1 tomorrow?

Poll closed Nov 26, 2007.
  1. Missouri

22 vote(s)
    52.4%
  2. West Virginia

16 vote(s)
    38.1%
  3. Other

4 vote(s)
    9.5%
  1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Show me where a powerhouse would be eager to play Troy.

2. soccer10k

soccer10k Member

Great reply. That's two in one thread. You should get an award or something.

3. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

If you don't open a playoff to the champions of every conference, you might as well force the schools in the Mountain West, Sun Belt, MAC, WAC and Conference USA to drop to I-AA.

4. soccer10k

soccer10k Member

Troy? You mean the Troy that gave up 46 to Arkansas, 59 to Florida and 44 to Georgia? That Troy?
    How about Central Michigan? You know, the team that lost at home to 1-AA North Dakota State 44-14. The team that lost to Kansas 52-7. The team that lost to Clemson 70-14. The team that lost to tied-for-seventh-in-the-Big11-Purdue 45-22. They deserve a spot in a playoff?
    Central Florida has the best argument of the three but that's like saying you're the tallest midget. They beat NC State by 2 on the road and lost to Texas by 3 at home. Of course, they also lost to South Florida 64-12.

I don't think any of the top-10 schools would be scared of any of these three teams.

5. soccer10k

soccer10k Member

Why? They aren't in the BCS right now yet they're still in I-A. And they can earn their way in but they don't deserve automatic berths.

But that isn't the point anyway since I wouldn't want a playoff system big enough so the BCS schools get automatic berths.

6. Piotr Rasputin

Piotr Rasputin New Member

College already has an edge-of-your-seat playoff. It's called "The regular season."

It's interesting that someone who likes the current system was acused of "sucking off" the big schools. The main thing I like about the current system, with its myriad meaningless bowls, is that the middling programs get one more game, get their showcase. The Michigan States, Texas Techs, Oregons, Virginias, Rutgers-es . . . . all solid programs, and all only truly contend for their conference title only when the stars align. The bowls are their showcase, and as someone who can't get enough college football, I like that. A lot. Ditto the WAC/MAC, etc. schools. They get their chance now on weird football days (Thursday?) and times (Hawaii, midnight football) thanks to ESPN. But the bowls they have agreements with are also shown on TV.

That all said, I wouldn't mind if they changed the system. We who root for middling BCS schools have no real horse in that race, you see. A playoff would be pretty simple logistically. Put in 16 teams, no more than two from any BCS conference, plus the champs of the MAC, WAC, Mountain West, Sun Belt, Conference USA. Notre dame and other independents get a wild card with nine or more wins and a top-10 BCS ranking. Have the first round at home sites in mid-December, based on overall record. Yes, this might make an LSU travel to a Hawaii; that just adds to the excitement and interest.

Then add two more bowls to the BCS bowls - two of the group of the Holiday, Citrus and Cotton (all held in warmer wather sites) - to make it seven games. Stay with a rotating title game, keep the bowl titles, and hold the quarterfinals at four of the seven games on a rotating basis. "The Fiesta Bowl, bringing to you the national quarterfinal between Indiana and Baylor!"

Then semis, then final, all around January 1.

Yes, I know these scenarios have been hashed out a thousand times. I had time on my hands, dammit.

Of course, there is just too much money involved for anything to change the current system, so I'll just continue rooting for a team that spends most of its time taking part of the bowl share brought back by the other conference schools with football programs that are worth a hill of beans.

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

The team that has beat BCS-conference teams the past 3-4 years. And UCF is the team that almost beat Texas. March Madness need not be sui generis. Upsets are just as prevalent in relative terms in college football as in college hoops.

8. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

no, actually this is the most stupid fucking statement i've ever read. you don't know what a d-i college football playoff compares to.

one of the most illogical statements i've ever read -- save yawn -- because you have no basis in which to base your hypothosis.

9. ;D fixed

10. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

hey, the new, happy TP stops short of "saying" that stuff.

11. Hey, that's what I'm here for ;D

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

solid as always, my friend.

Draft saved Draft deleted