1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll - New! Week 11. Page 38

1, Kansas.

2. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

a purple bag double or nothing?

3. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

Just for the record before the poll comes out, I still have not voted KU No. 1 this season.

4. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

A quick insight on my ballot — 1. Kansas, 2. LSU, 3. Arizona State, 4. Missouri, 5. West Virginia

Top spot stayed the same, LSU was up one to replace Oregon while Arizona State was up two spots because of Oklahoma and I leapfrogged Missouri and West Virginia over Hawaii.

Biggest riser — Clemson from 15 to 21; Biggest Fall — Oregon from 2 to 11.
    Added to the top 25 — None
    Dropped from the top 25 — None

Other notes: Amazingly, no teams added this week for the first time all season. Oklahoma went from 4 to 10, Hawaii stayed at 6 (7-8-9 is Ohio State, Virginia Tech and Georgia), BYU is up one spot to 17, Boise Stayed at 12 and I flip-flopped Texas and Southern Cal at 13 and 14 despite neither playing. I do not have a four-loss team on my ballot.

5. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

1, Kansas
    2, LSU
    3, West Virginny
    4, Mizzou
    5, USC
    6, Ohio State
    7, Georgia
    8, Florida
    9, Arizona State
    10, Virginny Tech
    11, Illinois
    12, Boise State
    13, Oklahoma
    14, Virginia
    15, Tennessee
    16, Hawai'i
    17, Oregon
    18, Boston College
    19, Clemson
    20, My name is Yon Yonson, I live in Wisconsin
    21, Texas
    22, Cincinnati
    23, Connecticut
    24, BYU (even though they lost to UCLA, which lost to Notre Dame, but the Cougs *have* won 7 straight).
    25, Wake Forest.

6. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My top three didn't change (LSU, Hawaii, Kansas).

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

LSU, Kansas, WestByGod, Mizzou, Ohio St. here.

8. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll - HELLO Jesus Muscatel, Precious Roy, Amraeder, Doc

LSU, By-God, KU, Mizzou, Arizona St. here.

Sorry, was on the road yesterday.

9. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll - HELLO Jesus Muscatel, Precious Roy, Amraeder, Doc

1. LSU; 2. Kansas; 3. Hawaii

I refuse to make Kansas a No. 1 just yet. And I refuse to include BYU in the top 25.

10. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll - HELLO Precious Roy, Amraeder

Sorry 'bout the lack of punctuality, Slap.

I look forward very much to dropping Kansas as far as possible next week.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll - HELLO Precious Roy, Amraeder

Am waiting on the two others listed on the home page -- both of whom already have a strike against them and if they don't have their picks to me by the time I return from getting the dog, will be dropped from the rest of the polls.

12. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll- Week 12 -- Page 40

By SLAPPY 4428
    SportsJournalists.com POLL DANCER

Thanksgiving weekend means rivalry weekend in football.

Let's face it, what better way is there to celebrate the fall harvest and bountiful booty than by causing your worst enemy to pop out a snot bubble.

Heck fire, there's games between schools that hate each other like Virginia Tech-Virginia, Georgia-Georgia Tech, and Texas-Texas A&M. There are games that are actually meaningful such as Boise State-Hawaii and Arizona State-Southern Cal, and games that don't mean a thing and are just filler on the schedule, like Notre Dame-Stanford.

And there are games... well.. let me put it like this: Only a coaching genius like Nick Saban could turn the Iron Bowl into having all the national appeal of a Thursday night mid-September game between Northern Illinois and Eastern Michigan. There are, of course, more than bragging rights on the line in the annual battle between Auburn and Alabama: The Gruesome Tide need a win to avoid matching last season's disappointing failure under Mike Shula, even though the schedule had the SEC heavyweights at home and a non-conference slate against Snap, Crackle and Pop (In case you missed it, Saturday's final was Pop 21, Alabama 14.) And, even though they are bowel eligible, if the Low Tide don't beat Auburn, they could wind up sitting home for the holidays since a six-win team can't be chosen over a seven-win team -- showing that all them Bammers who "got themselves a co-ehch" 11 months ago got exactly dick-diddly squat for Mal-feasance Moore's investment.

I digress.

The big game this weekend is of course two teams who understand that National Titles are something that usually disappears by Labor Day weekend -- Kansas and Missouri.

I mean once upon a time, I suppose they were good. Kansas had Gail Sayers, which I think is better than having Gayle King. And there was John Hadl and Bobby Douglass, both of whom passed gas far better than footballs. And who can forget Nolan Cromwell, who learned what not to do as a quarterback and became an NFL defensive back.

In all the years of Kansas football -- 117 to be exact, with many of them ending in September although played until November -- the Jayhawks are 11 games over .500. The coach, Mark Mangino, has a symmetry about him: In six seasons, he's one over .500 – both in wins and weight.

Ahh, but Missouri is no slouch. The Tigers have a football team covered by more journalists than Ichiro, thanks to a journalism school second to everyone. And because of this team, generations of aspiring writers learned how to second-guess with the best.

You'd think the name "tigers" would be one that inspires fear and intimidation, much like the legendary jungle feline. Nah, that would be too easy. Legend has it that the name comes from a band armed guards called the Missouri Tigers who, in 1854, protected Columbia from Confederate guerrillas during the Civil War. Legend also has it the Civil War was fought from 1861-1865, thereby instilling the other proud tradition of poor timing.

After all, which school did Colorado use a fifth down to defeat enroute to winning a national title in 1990? Answer: The same one that Nebraska had to resort to Hackysack to keep its 1997 national title hopes alive.

When you think of Missouri football, you think of coaches such as Frank Broyles, Dan Devine and Gary Pinkel, all of whom had great success -- elsewhere.

You think of players such as Francis Peay, who was Northwestern's first black coach, Paul Christman, who at one time he owned the NFL record for most fumbles in a game (five) and most own fumbles recovered in a season (eight) and Kellen Winslow, who taught his son that going to play football is like going to war -- until he got an owwie falling off his motorcycle.

This year is different. I mean, really different. It means something. It means more than a football game for a Marching Band Drum trophy, which is something to celebrate at Band Camp.

If Kansas wins, it's a chance at a BCS title game and all the trimmings that go with it -- that is, unless the Jayhawks make poopies on the bed in the Big 12 title game. A Missouri win not only means its own chance at a BCS bid and a bowl in a place other than Shreveport or Boise, but the first 1-2 conference finish ahead of Kansas since 19-oh-freakin-nine.

So there's a lot on the line: Lack of tradition, a shot at a BCS bid to be dashed in next week's Big 12 title game and another month of the basketball teams playing in relative anonymity.

And if that doesn't mean turkeys can fly, then nothing will.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    11/19/2007
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. LSU (29) 819 1
    2. Kansas (2) 780 4
    3. West Virginia (1) 744 5
    4. Missouri 729 6
    5. Ohio State 672 7
    6. Georgia 616 8
    7. Arizona State 589 9
    8. Virginia Tech 545 11
    9. Oklahoma 520 3
    10. Oregon 512 2
    11. Hawaii (1) 508 10
    12. Southern Cal 493 12
    13. Texas 458 13
    14. Florida 407 14
    15. Boston College 338 18
    16. Boise St. 325 16
    17. Virginia 312 17
    18. Illinois 271 20
    19. Tennessee 259 19
    20. Connecticut 177 25
    21. Wisconsin 144 24
    22. Clemson 133 15
    23. Cincinnati 83 21
    24. BYU 68 NR
    25. Texas Tech 53 NR

Also receiving votes: Auburn 33; Kentucky 30; South Florida 30; Michigan 24; Arizona 19; Navy 10; Penn State 6; Air Force 5; Washington 3; Arkansas 2; Troy 2; Michigan State 2; Utah 2; Tulsa 1; Wake Forest 1.

SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), Oz, The Good Doctor, Elliotte Friedman, Hockeybeat, Starman, Eagleboy, Hank Scorpio, Sportschick, Mystery Meat, Barsuk, Della9250, Mayfly, Songbird, dparker85, Gutter, Buckweaver, sxysprtswrtr, OJ1414, Orville Redenbacher, spnited, Idaho, Joel Hammond, HackWilson191, BYH, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Rufino, Trooper Bari, Jesus_Muscatel, GB-Hack; Precious Roy. (MIA: Precious Roy, amraeder ; Withdrawn: Micropolitan Guy, Beanpole, Precious Roy, Amraeder)

Draft saved Draft deleted