1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Am I evil for not buying into this

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by PalmettoStatesport, Nov 15, 2007.

1. JayFarrar

JayFarrar Well-Known Member

Wouldn't matter at my shop, DUI/DWI is a fireable offense if you have a job that involves getting reimbursed for mileage.
    So your guy would have been shitcanned and then you wouldn't feel guilty about not giving him a ride.

2. Well, on the night he did get his DUI, he skipped something that I assigned him to so he could get boozed up at a concert.

3. TheMethod

TheMethod Member

This will come off as insensitive to DUI issues, but I feel strongly about this: Getting a DUI doesn't necessarily mean you put others' lives in danger.

It's entirely possible, depending on a host of factors, that you could have three beers at dinner and get popped for DUI. Obviously, I don't know the particulars in this case, and I've never had a DUI myself (knock on wood), but I think there's a distinction between someone who gets hammered and drives anyway, knowing they're drunk, and someone who blew a .08. It's a distinction the law doesn't make, but one of them is totally irresponsible, the other is just a poor mathematician.

4. BigSleeper

BigSleeper Active Member

This guy sounds like a real piece of work. He deserves to be thrown out on his ass.

5. bigpern23

bigpern23 Well-Known Member

I would expect to be fired if I got a DUI and I would probably fire any reporter under me who got one because it would severely limit their ability to cover games (nevermind the embarrassment of having to print the police log of our own reporter getting one).

That said, I don't think it's "bullshit" that co-workers are helping him out, nor do I think you're evil for not helping him out. You're obviously under no obligation to help the guy.

Of course, there's nothing wrong with helping out someone who fucked up. I'd be pretty sure he now realizes the consequences of getting a DUI and I don't think anyone would be teaching him some kind of lesson by not picking him up. He's an adult who fucked up and is paying the price. I'm sure he's no happier about asking for rides than others are about giving them.

6. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I'm gonna disagree. If your blood alcohol level is .08 you are putting lives in danger.

Now, you may not be any more likely to crash than someone who is sleepy or eating a Big Mac or talking to grandma on the cell phone while driving, but you are impaired.

7. spartacus

spartacus Member

screw him. it's his problem.

8. Idaho

Idaho Active Member

Office pool and get him one of these
    [​IMG]

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 15, 2014
  9. SF_Express

SF_Express Active Member

Several factors:

1) I'm also wondering about the restricted license with work privileges.

2) If I'm the guy, there's no way I ask everybody to go out of their way to get me to work. But that's the way I am in such things (I usually say no when people offer to take me to the airport, for example, with rare, almost non-existent, exceptions).

3) The answer slightly depends on how convenient it is to give him a lift. If he lives near you and it's convenient, that's one thing. If he's way out of the way and it's severely impacting your ability to do your job right, then that's certainly another. You start that, and the paper has two impaired people instead of one, and that makes no sense for anybody.

Draft saved Draft deleted