1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Joining in on postgame prayers?

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Batman, Nov 12, 2007.

1. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Never ceases to amaze me that not only does NASCAR have an invocation before every race, but it's always included in the broadcast. That has to be written into the TV contracts because I know we don't see every college football pre-game prayer or other sports invocations.

2. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

Oh, really?

If you think a football coach's "invitation" to pray isn't as good as actually ordering it, then you don't know how powerful a high school coach can be, especially in the South.

3. Wonderlic

Wonderlic Member

That's exactly what you're saying. Just read the title you put on this thread. And if you don't think so, you're missing my larger point - which is you don't, ever, under any circumstances "JOIN IN ON" anything a team is doing.

Your original question has little to do with religion and everything to do with professionalism.

You observe. You report. End of story.

4. mike311gd

mike311gd Active Member

[​IMG]

5. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

It's the same way at every NASCAR-sanctioned race I've ever been to, no matter what level. One of the few areas of NASCAR "tradition" that hasn't been completely overhauled in recent years, and the one most surprising that it's still done that way.

6. Run, do not walk, away from this opportunity.
    Pray on your own time.

7. spnited

spnited Active Member

A high school football coach in NJ got suspended and maybe even fired (don't recall all the details) a few years back for organized team prayers before and after games and practices.
    A few kids who chose not to participate were called out by the coach and the parents then went to the Board of Ed and complained --- rightfully so -- about the coach forcing his religious view on their kids in a public setting.

8. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

I just stand there and mutter "Hurry the fuck up."

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

jebus still loves you.

10. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Jeebus loves making deadline.

This I know. Because my editor tells me so.

11. Pi

Pi Member

I usually step in at the end and add a few words of thanks -- you know, that my pen/pencil didn't break, that rain didn't ruin my notes, that I got that teacher's phone number at halftime. We're all thankful for different things.

12. scribe21

scribe21 Member

I am a firm beliver in prayer, whether it's myself, the football team or the officials. Since prayer was taken OUT of our public school system, it has been replaced by garbage, school shootings, lack of respect and an increased amount of self-centered kids who are in it for themselves and no one else for the most part. I was on the sideline to shoot a game earlier this year and was totally shocked by the amount of times the players used the F word. we can tolerate that, but gosh leave prayer out. There is a thing as respect and we need more of it. If you don't believe me, stand around a bunch of prep football players at a game. You have a right to believe in prayer or not, but don't criticize someone who does.

Draft saved Draft deleted