1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll - New! Week 11. Page 38

By SLAPPY 4428
    SportsJournalists.com POLLMASTER

Today, boys and girls, we play a resounding game of figure the odds. It has nothing to do with horses, however, although the head coach of one of the candidates looks as if he's eaten one.

But we're going to figure out which of the title contenders have a shot at playing in New Orleans on March 15 or whenever FOX says the BCS NCG is played.

LSU -- Instead of SEC bashing, I'm going to say nothing but good things about the Tigers (It's not the contenders I have a problem with; it's the wannabees and usetabees). They don't screw up and they're dancing with beads on. They should beat the Piggies in two weeks and if they lose to Ogre next week, they should be dropped from the poll for General Principal and Major Disaster. ODDS: 2-1

Oregon -- No, not Orgeron, Oregon. Yeah, the Ducks. The same Ducks with those Phil Knight-meets-Tim Burton jerseys. The same Ducks that came into the Big House and slapped Michigan around like no team had since the week before. I like the odds here, but the team that could bite the Ducks in the tail feathers is UCLA. Yeah, that UCLA. They screwed up Charlie Weis's perfect season, beat Cal and lost at Arizona, which is like losing to Guatemala. No Pac-10 Championship game will hurt, because out of sight is out of mind, but it won't matter. ODDS: 5-2.

West Virginia -- Yeah, I know they lost early, and they should have bounced back by now from that stupid loss to South Florida. But in many eyes, they haven't and here's why: The Big East has proved itself to be the Wisconsin of college conferences. Look like good teams early, gaudy records against Western Michigan. Buffalo, Norfolk State and Maine, then they played each other and basically cut each others throats. (I mean how impressive do you have to be to beat Syracuse?) I really think if they win out by a 21-point margin, it's not enough. ODDS: 10-1

Ohio State -- HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA HA. ODDS: 25-1.

Hawaii -- I'll be serious for a second. June Jones. Nice coaching staff, but I've seen Space Cowboys and Wild Hogs. I need to see no more old-guy-make-good-one-last-time movies. Win out and a BCS poll is possible. Title game? Hope for Miami. ODDS: 25-1.

The Big 12: Kansas, Oklahoma and Missouri --
    Every few years this happens, one conference has three good teams and only two head to BCS games for contractual reasons. Inside track is Oklahoma but at Texas Tech and against Okie State is tough. Missouri gets through the Kansases and another shot at Oklahoma and that turned out poorly the first time. Kansas? It's been a fun season, but they grab the throat soon in a self-fulfilling prophecy, since they haven't won or shared a league title since the Missouri Compromise when they beat Eddie Haskell and the Ottawa Senators (See: Songbird's fanboy revisionist history post above). I think Missouri thumps Kansas because an already tight 36-inch collar gets tighter, and one of the Mikes bags Oklahoma. Then Gary Pinkel reverts to form in the Big 12 title game and none of the three go to the BCS title game. ODDS: 10-1 (field bet).

But that's just me.

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    11/12/2007
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. LSU (24) 858 2
    2. Oregon (4) 825 3
    3. Oklahoma (1) 787 4
    4. Kansas (4) 785 5
    5. West Virginia (1) 724 6
    6. Missouri 699 7
    7. Ohio State 635 1
    8. Georgia 595 11
    9. Arizona State 575 8
    10. Hawaii (1) 543 10
    11. Virginia Tech 514 12
    12. Southern Cal 505 13
    13. Texas 488 16
    14. Florida 396 17
    15. Clemson 303 20
    tie. Boise St. 303 19
    17. Virginia 301 22
    18. Boston College 293 9
    19. Tennessee 243 23
    20. Illinois 219 NR
    21. Cincinnati 176 NR
    22. Kentucky 140 24
    23. Michigan 136 15
    24. Wisconsin 109 NR
    25. Connecticut 83 14

Also receiving votes: Penn State 49; Auburn 23; BYU 23; South Florida 16; California 9; Navy 5; Mississippi St. 3; Air Force 2.

SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), Oz, The Good Doctor, Elliotte Friedman, Hockeybeat, Starman, Eagleboy, Hank Scorpio, Sportschick, Mystery Meat, Barsuk, WS, Della9250, Mayfly, Songbird, dparker85, Gutter, Buckweaver, sxysprtswrtr, Orville Redenbacher, spnited, Idaho, Amraeder, Joel Hammond, Precious Roy, HackWilson191, OJ1414, BYH, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Rufino, Trooper Bari, Jesus_Muscatel, GB-Hack; Precious Roy. (MIA: none; Withdrawn: Micropolitan Guy, Beanpole)

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

For the record, I'm not the one who voted WVU No. 1.

EDIT: Good work this week, slap.

3. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

xan - the blue bird still sucks donkey balls. just give it a little time and it'll be evident.

4. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

Who's the fruit loop who voted Hawaii No. 1?

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Not I. Despite my love of mid-majors, Hawaii's not even the best team in the conference right now.

6. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I put LSU at No. 1.

7. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Mountaineers are No. 1 on my ballot.

8. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

I'm still on the Oregon bandwagon.

And Slap, it's great work, but Jerry Glanville is now at Portland State. Hate to be the bearer of bad news.

9. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

slappy knew that. i was, like, a retroactive post.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

nope, I sure didn't. But through the magic of the internets...

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

... **POOF** it's fixed

12. Tom Petty

Tom Petty Guest

never. will. have. your. back. again.

Draft saved Draft deleted