1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Jase unloads on Andy Reid

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by hondo, Nov 9, 2007.

1. actually, the Reids spent years trying to get their kids help. rehab. counseling. you name it. that's been omitted from many stories because it doesn't conveniently fit the simplistic notion of a disinterested NFL coach & father who's out of touch with his kids and their issues.

2. Because Jason, who's never raised anything other than his triglycerides as far as I know, now seems to have decided to be a judgmental dipwad on the subject of parenting.

3. BYH

BYH Active Member

Thank you.

I cannot imagine strip club employees are products of happy households. But hey, Jason can just keep giving tips. Clown.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

N-i-c-e

5. poindexter

poindexter Well-Known Member

The title of the column is:
    Reid getting a pass from the media

The nut of the article is as follows:
    But I do want to spell out how this would have been handled differently by the authorities and interpreted differently by the media and the public had this been your typical ghetto tale involving poor black, brown or white people or black and brown people of any income level.

But since Fenian knows Whitlock has done drugs in the champagne room, its all invalid.

Okay.

6. Boy, you really can't read.
    I asked whether or not drugs ever passed him by in the champagne room.

7. Boom_70

Boom_70 Well-Known Member

Fenian's life is ruled by demons - namely George Bush and Jason Whitlock.

8. I assumed a lot of folks did.
    Apparently, I gotta get out more.

9. IU90

IU90 Member

Not the same situation. Dungy's son was not living in his house at the time. He was an adult living several states away in Tampa, where he was going to college. Dungy had far less opportunity to be aware of and deal with his son's troubles than Reid.

And the scale of troublesome indicators aren't comparable. There's no evidence that Dungy's son was a drug dealer and Dungy's son wasn't keeping a large supply of illegal drugs and weaponry in his father's home. Dungy was certainly more deserving of a pass than Reid is here.

10. Zeemer

Zeemer Member

As long as we're playing this ridiculous game ...
    James Dungy OD'd two months before he died. He had a Myspace page filled with references to drugs and gangs. Dungy got a "free pass" -- translation, he was treated with some humanity and consideration for his pain -- even though he took no known action to intervene in his son's situation. The Reid sons had troubles when THEY were 19 and away at college. That's why they were living at home. Clearly the parents couldn't control their sons, but almost every one of Whitlock's specific points is inaccurate or based on flimsy assumptions. If we'd all piled on Dungy's clueless parenting, it would be one thing. We didn't, which takes the whole Whitlock race element out of the picture.

11. spnited

spnited Active Member

But if there isn't a race element, Whitlock doesn't have anything to write.
    Rhoden gets destroyed for doing things like this, Whitlock gets praised. Why?

12. Almost_Famous

Almost_Famous Active Member

Perhaps I missed it, but was Dungy's kid dealing drugs? Dealing drugs out of the home in which his mother and father lived? Did a judge weigh in?

Draft saved Draft deleted