1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Sportswriter/Paginator, Goldsboro (N.C.) News-Argus

Discussion in 'Journalism Jobs' started by Tarheel316, Oct 16, 2007.

1. Stupid

Stupid Member

You're not thinking this through very well, Doc. Readers get the AP story on the ACC teams when we're not there. Nobody is getting short-changed on timely news. You don't like consultants, fine. But you're not grasping what it is we do and that's cater to our readers' interest, of which we're very aware via surveys and a veteran SE (for a little bit longer) who understands that local is where it's at.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

If the SE already knew/thought that, then why the need for consultants in the first place? My point was that the thousands of dollars you spent on those consultants and surveys could have been better spent sinking it directly into the newspaper with raises, increased travel budget, etc.

3. Stupid

Stupid Member

Um, because the surveys were for the entire paper and the news section changed dramatically as a result. And the results confirmed what we had been doing all along, which is produce a section heavy on local that also keeps a foot in the ACC fire.

Now, how are raises and an increased travel budget going to increase circulation?

4. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

By being able to give the readers more coverage instead of thinking small and acting small.

You know what, never mind. I'm done with you. I don't have a dog in this hunt; I was just pointing out the flaws in your "toe-the-company-line" argument. For a paper your size consultants are a luxury. But keep on trucking at your 22K. Frankly, I don't give a shit either way. I'll let you get back to your pissing match with Appgrad.

5. Stupid

Stupid Member

You are done, Doc. You could have at least tried if you're going to avatar HST. Color me disappointed.

6. Tarheel316

Tarheel316 Well-Known Member

Doc, leave Stupid alone. He knows what he's doing and doesn't deserve some high and mighty bullshit from someone who thinks he's a know-it-all.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Who the hell are you to tell me to do anything? I've almost always refrained from insulting a poster's particular place of business on this site, but that kind of mentality is exactly why I'm glad I moved beyond papers your size.

8. Tarheel316

Who the hell are you to decide whether a paper's size has anything to do with its quality. I know Stupid and he knows his market just like I know my market. He didn't start this shit. You did. All he did was explain how they do things and instead of leaving it alone, you just had to jab the needle and throw your shit around.

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Start what? He talked about consultants. I said for papers his size there are better uses for that money, and that going hyper-local isn't the best idea when there are alternatives. He disagreed. We moved on. Apparently, you haven't. And with your attitude, you probably never will.

And I never insulted the quality of his paper. I've never read it. I doubt I ever will. I said his paper was thinking and acting small. Are you refuting that?

10. Tarheel316

Just like Stupid, I'm done with you.

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I have no idea how I'll fill the void in my life.

12. Tarheel316

I'm sure someone else will be the recipient of your bullshit. :D

Draft saved Draft deleted