1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Amraeder, GB Hack, Orville, OJ1414, Precious Roy

Yeah, that's why I ranked them, but man, they SHOULD be a 3-loss team if the refs had any clue. I'm thinking I should start treating them like a 3-loss team from now on. At least I want to.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Amraeder, GB Hack, Orville, OJ1414, Precious Roy

That line of thinking got Whitlock roundly eviscerated around here last year. He refused to penalize Oklahoma for its loss at Oregon.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- New Week 9, Page 35

By SLAPPY 4428
    SportsJournalists.com POLLMASTER

Stuff. Just... stuff (Hey. I'm entitled to have an off week. I celebrated the 10th anniversary of Two-a-Days with Morrie last night and got sick from all the sap.)
    -- One poll member misspelled Oregon as "Orgeon." It's as close as Ed Ogreon will get to the top 25 without looking across the field at his opponent.
    -- Let me ask a question serious like: How much does TV sway your ballot? What I mean is this: If Tennessee and South Carolina -- a thrilling game between two proving-to-be-incredibly average teams from a conference that doesn't get the credit it deserves -- was the 11:30 a.m. game on regional TV instead of the last ESPN game, how many of you would have put CPF's team in your poll for a win at home where it should win?
    -- And if it was Wisconsin-Purdue, would you have done the same thing? Or Boise State-Hawaii?
    -- I didn't think so.
    -- Kansas eighth and Missouri ninth. Seriously.
    -- First person to have his poll done this week? BYH. Seriously. Took him eight seconds too.
    -- Got skewered on Doug Segrest's blog on al.com by some fanboy, who took umbrage with the tongue-in-cheek remark about SEC football last week. (People like me is what's wrong with college football, dontcha know) My issue is not necessarily with the quality of SEC football, but the thin-skinned defenders of it -- like this slack-jawed yokel.
    Which brings to mind two jokes, neither of which will make him happy this week either:
    Q: How many politically correct SEC defenders does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: That's not funny.
    Q: How many SEC defenders does it take to screw in a light bulb?
    A: A light-what now?
    -- Nice to see Matt Ryan win the Heisman and a powerspitting contest at the same time. That's the way you want to see your starting quarterback handle pressure. He'll look good in a Rams cap carrying a clipboard.
    -- Speaking of powerspitting, it's also nice to see Mark Mangini turning pounds into wins.
    -- I know someone who covered the Weber State-Portland State basketball game the other night. He said it might be the only time all season he'll enjoy doing a follow-up story. It had to be tough; all that scoring and none of it involved him.
    -- Eighth and ninth. Wow.
    -- And finally, it's nice to Colleen Bellotti, her nanny and the rest of the Clampetts handle her son's DUII conviction with grace and class by shooting the messenger. If we had more coaches wifes (or ex-wifes like her), we'd have fewer soccer moms.
    Hmmm...

SportsJournalists.com COLLEGE FOOTBALL POLL
    10/29/2007
    RK. TEAM (1st) PTS Last

1. Ohio State (26) 830 1
    2. LSU (6) 787 2
    3. Boston College (1) 783 3
    4. Oregon (1) 716 5
    5. Oklahoma 705 4
    6. Arizona State 691 7
    7. West Virginia 671 6
    8. Kansas 638 11
    9. Missouri 538 13
    10. Hawaii 506 14
    11. Georgia 495 20
    12. Virginia Tech 401 11
    13. Texas 394 17
    14. Southern Cal 371 9
    15. Michigan 360 19
    16. Connecticut 324 NR
    17. Alabama 263 22
    18. Florida 262 14
    19. Auburn 255 24
    20. South Florida 251 8
    21. Boise St. 130 NR
    22. Wake Forest 109 NR
    23. South Carolina 97 16
    24. California 86 18
    25. Kentucky 81 15

Also receiving votes: Clemson 71; Tennessee 69; Wisconsin 55; Virginia 40; Penn State 15; Purdue 13; Kansas State 9; Texas A&M 8; Wyoming 5; Troy 5; Rutgers 4; Cincinnati 4; Georgia Tech 2; Oregon State 2; Oklahoma State 1; Colorado 1; Illinois 1; BYU 1.

SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), Oz, The Good Doctor, Elliotte Friedman, Hockeybeat, Starman, Eagleboy, Hank Scorpio, Sportschick, Mystery Meat, Barsuk, WS, Della9250, Mayfly, Songbird, dparker85, Gutter, Buckweaver, sxysprtswrtr, Orville Redenbacher, spnited, Idaho, Amraeder, Joel Hammond, Precious Roy, HackWilson191, BYH, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Rufino, Trooper Bari, OJ1414, Jesus_Muscatel, GB-Hack. (MIA: Precious Roy; Withdrawn: Micropolitan Guy, Beanpole)

4. Gutter

Gutter Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- New Week 9, Page 35

West Virginia wins by 28 on the road over Rutgers, a team that beat the "No. 2" team the previous week, and drops a spot?

Wow.

5. Oz

Oz Well-Known Member

To Arizona State, which beat Cal this past week. I'm guessing some held off on voting the Sun Devils too high before beating a quality opponent like that, and they have no losses, thus the switch.

6. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

That's my Number 1 vote, and it was there last week as well.

And Oregon is up by 11 points. Which means their win over a previously top-10 team carried weight this week. I'd have had to ranked them 13th or lower for my one vote to make a difference.

7. AgatePage

AgatePage Active Member

No worries. I'll always forgive math mistakes. We are journalists after all. Or we purport to be, at least.

The Ducks lost the Cal game on that bizarr-o play at the end zone and I really thought they were the better team in that game. They've played the most dominant football I've seen this season, and played a good schedule, hence the No. 1 vote, for those that were curious.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Sonners will move ahead of whomever they want... oh. You said Sooners.

9. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

That may be true, but I think Louisville lost that game three weeks ago on its own by giving up two touchdowns in the fourth.

And from what a friend of mine says, they never found conclusive tape of the Temple call out there, so I'll let it slide. To me, they're a one-loss team that leads the Big East. I gave 'em a ton of points.

10. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

A quick insight on my ballot — 1. Ohio State, 2. Kansas, 3. Oregon, 4. LSU, 5. Oklahoma

Kansas moved up because of BC and Arizona State while Oregon leapfrogged LSU.

Biggest riser — There really wasn't one; Biggest Fall — Boston College from 2 to 11 .
    Added to the top 25 — Virginia at 21, Auburn at 23, Florida at 24
    Dropped from the top 25 — Purdue, Troy, South Florida

Other notes: I dropped Arizona State to 7 and moved Hawaii to 6, Connecticut to 10 and Boise State to 14 and yes, BYU at 20. It pains be to have Texas at 16, especially the way they've played the last two weeks. I'm also still not giving Michigan the benefit of the doubt, putting them at 18. And I kept Wake Forest in, at 25, despite the loss to Virginia.

11. Hank_Scorpio

Hank_Scorpio Active Member

Michigan doesn't deserve the benefit of the doubt yet. If it wasn't for Michigan State doing it's usual pissing away a win, Michigan would have its third loss and out of the Top 25 poll for good.

12. Della9250

Della9250 Well-Known Member

Unfortunately, there are too many teams out there that don't deserve the benefit of the doubt. But then there wouldn't be 25 teams to rank.

Draft saved Draft deleted