1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

How Not to Write a Column -- Sid! Style

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by zeke12, Oct 21, 2007.

1. Rough Mix

Rough Mix Guest

Max Winter (620 Club, the Vikings) was the owner of the Lakers for a while. By the time they moved Bob Short was the owner. Sid was indeed the GM. They moved because they didn't have an arena.

Slappy, the Smokey Joe Salem billboards where he had a rose clenched in his teeth were a riot. His kid is a coach at UCF. Smokey's done very well in business since the U.

I think I'm going to find a Holiday present for my close personal friend Zeke...

2. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Or, he's rich enough and tight enough with The Brotherhood, that if Sid got dumped, financial reprecussions would doom the Strib...

Thass right. Thass right...

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Jesse?

Kirby?

Herbie?

Bruno?

Fran?

Bud?

Les?

4. Not many, although "Herbie" and "Bruno" don't necessarily qualify. I'll grant you Jesse and Kirby, though.

5. MilanWall

MilanWall Member

What is up with the Minneapolis/St. Paul media? Just earlier today I saw a clip where a TV sports reporter ended an interview with a talented senior WR prospect by saying, "You gotta go to the Gophers!"

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

You have to concede Bud too...

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Herb certainly qualifies, too.

The man was a legend.

Hrbie might be borderline, but not Herbie.

And This Bud's For You t-shirts are still popular.

8. True on Bud. And true on the broadcasting Herb, not the baseball Hrb.

9. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Not broadcasting Herb, coach Herb.

Broadcasting Herb is always Herb Carneal, two names.

10. Carneal Knowledge?

11. ink-stained wretch

ink-stained wretch Active Member

It's Herbie. It's always been Herbie — except when it was A**hole. Even the greats have their moments best left unremembered.

Sid! was a great reporter. Still probably is decent. And, yes, he does know where every body is buried.

12. Ah, you mean the hockey Herb. See how confusing this becomes?

Draft saved Draft deleted