1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

One year later... Whitlock talks to The Big Lead again...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Mizzougrad96, Oct 9, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Some good stuff, some pompous stuff, all honest stuff by him.
    I loved the bit about Isiah Thomas. He's right.

2. earlyentry

earlyentry Member

What is SMG?

3. Not to stray too far off topic, but I left newspapers for a Web job a little over a year ago, and it was the best move I ever made. Pay, benefits, travel, everything is better. No one's after me for nickel and dime receipts. Amazing how not having all that overhead of a press and newsprint frees up your bottom line. I'm a dyed-in-the-wool newspaper guy. Love the industry, love the product, love everything about them. But what we're seeing now is only the beginning. The more papers cut back and go local, the more writers are going to move to the freedom of the Web. Two years ago, I would have laughed at that notion. Now, I firmly believe it.

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

What do you mean by freedom? Freedom from those pesky copy editors? Freedom to write thousands of words, without regard to whether tighter might be better in some cases?

5. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Sports Media Guide

Here is a recent thread:

http://www.sportsjournalists.com/forum/threads/47689/

6. I can't stand Whitlock...I mean, at all. I really think he sucks....but he made some excellent points. Now if he could only get out of his own way and not be such a prick...

7. Huston

Huston New Member

Isn't this the same Whitlock who wanted the female posters here to call him "Big Poppa" or "Big Daddy" and talked endlessly about "working his corners" like the literary pimp he is?

If Jason wants to examine the culture of disrespect, perhaps he should start with himself first.

8. Double Down

Double Down Well-Known Member

It may be a legit question, but TBL, your willingness to jack off anyone and everyone who jumps to the net makes me nauseous. Even if newspapers do die a horrific death and have to take their operations on-line, let us all pray they don't abandon the basic standards and ethics of journalism in favor of a perverse blend of star-fucking and rumor mongering, which you clearly have no problem doing in light of your "Matt Leinart has a lot more illigitimate kids than you know about, so says a friend of a friend of a whore's friend" item you posted today.

No one has a problem with the system for delivery of the news changing. In fact, most of us embrace that. What's pathetic is the "anything goes as long as I overheard it in the shitter" approach to internet "journalism" which, by the way, won't last forever. (Stuff the coffers with some extra cash for the day when you run a blind item about some athlete being gay, and they decide to go after you the same way Tom Cruise is always going after the tabloids.) But go ahead and enjoy your blind items and Perez Hilton wanna-be routine while the rest of us, however diminishing the returns, aspire for something a bit better.

Lastly, anyone else find it funny that Whitlock dumps on people who troll for APSE awards while trolling for a Pulitzer in commentary? It seems what sports columnists really suffer from is a lack of ambition in Jason's eyes.

9. Game. Set. Match.

Well-said.

10. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

In fairness, I don't think TBL is pretending to be a credible media source as much as a clearinghouse of rumors and interesting links, with a dash of analysis and entertainment thrown in. With that said, the Leinart thing was beyond ridiculous.

But expecting a gossipy sports blog to have the same gate-keeping standards as a newspaper is setting the bar a little high, isn't it?

11. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

That's fine. As long as he doesn't ever call himself a journalist. Because, as he has proven time and again, he's not.

12. Mighty_Wingman

Mighty_Wingman Active Member

Fair point.

Draft saved Draft deleted