1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Newhouse fellowship

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by GFav44, Oct 3, 2007.

1. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

I went to Syracuse -- no, I was not lucky enough to be a fellow -- and was good friends with a girl who was a fellow. She's working at the Newark Star-Ledger now (she was offered a full-time gig after her year).

I honestly don't see how you can turn down an offer like this. You're getting PAID to go to Syracuse (you get a stipend) -- that's about 30-50K less debt than the rest of us. The networking connections alone that you'll make through SU are worth it, in my opinion. Also, Newhouse has some great papers around the country, and they pay well.

The bottom line is: I'm very, very glad I decided to do the grad program at SU...and I paid (dearly) for it

Hope that helps.

2. occasionally

occasionally Member

Sorry ... Couldn't read the rest of the post with a straight face.

3. ChmDogg

ChmDogg Member

LOL. I didn't even notice that until now.

Awesome.

4. STLIrish

STLIrish Active Member

Ugh. Sorry to hear that. They were a must-read for business and government stuff when I was at another paper in upstate NY, not long ago.

5. GFav44

GFav44 Member

Thanks everyone for your input. I was a little unsure about the program because from my searching I didn't find anything that talked about results besides regular alumni from the Newhouse school. Hopefully I will be accepted into it and will soon call you all colleagues. Again, thank you.

6. daemon

daemon Well-Known Member

I'm well aware of the value of various fellowships, Newhouse included. I work with a several writers who are products of such programs (most won't let you forget it).

My point is, if I were 22 and talented, I wouldn't be putting all my eggs in the basket o' journalism.

If I could do it over again, I'd seriously consider getting a non-journalism grad degree before taking my first full-time newspaper job.

Either way, you can't fuck it up. Just one man's opinion.

7. fishwrapper

fishwrapper Active Member

You, and this board, often forget the many careers, all journalists, found in a newsroom.

Draft saved Draft deleted