1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Is Subway in trouble?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Smallpotatoes, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Quiznos is a total ripoff.

2. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Quiznos is good, but way too expensive. You get chips and a drink and you're talking $11 w/tax. Ridiculous. You could get a sit-down meal at some places for that money.

Have only had Jimmy John's once, but it was very good. Bread was excellent. I hit Sheetz a lot more than I ever hit Subway.

3. We had a kid making a sub run at work and I told him to get me a roast beef sub and I handed him $6. After going to Quiznos, I owed him four bucks.

4. hondo

hondo Well-Known Member

It's pretty sad in the South when a grocery store gives you the best sub.

5. patchs

patchs Active Member

This guy just opened 2 Quizno's on opposite sides of town, I've only been once and wasn't impressed.
    In upstate NY, there's a local chain called Jreck's Subs, one just closed here, another is in a seedy area of town.
    We have Subway but I've never been impressed.
    For me, the best sub comes from a regional grocery store chain called Wegmans. They are awesome, excellent bread.
    The closest Panera Bread is a 45 minute drive, my kids love it, so we're going to do a trip on Columbus Day. I'm yearning soup in a bread bowl.
    BTW, if I remember correctly, you can't order a sandwich your way at Panera because they're all pre-made, right?

6. Huggy

Huggy Well-Known Member

Wegman's is great. When we used to do weekend trips to Bills games we always hit the Wegmans across from the Walden Galleria (we'd stay at the Sheraton) and load up on subs and other stuff to eat. Good times...

There was another good sub place near there that we'd hit on occasion but the name escapes me.

7. playthrough

playthrough Moderator Staff Member

Publix rocks. And you don't appreciate it until you move somewhere where all the grocery stores suck and none have sandwich-making delis. Sigh.

My experience with Quizno's has been very hit-or-miss, and yeah I'm not going to shell out that kind of dough if it's not a sure thing. Subway's meats are horrible. Jimmy John's, that's good stuff and really cheap.

8. shotglass

shotglass Guest

I just don't get bent out of shape over a difference between $5 and $8 on a sub. And I just believe Quizno's subs are tastier than Subway.

Wegmann's is heaven on earth. We finally got ours last month, about 10 miles from my front door. And twice, I've just gone there like it was a mall. Browse without buying anything for about an hour, scoping out what I really wanted. Then at the end, I went and got it.

Our Wegmann's has these specialty areas (and I WILL miss some). And each specialty area has its own "experts" to help you.

Sub station
    Pizza station
    Salad bar
    Chinese food bar (just like salad bar, pay per pound, but as much selection as your typical Chinese buffet)
    Soup bar
    Sushi station
    Hot food station
    Seafood bar (with a counter where you can order and eat)
    Seafood salad station
    Deli
    Cheese station (goes on forever)
    Mediterranean bar (couscous, olives, etc.)
    Bakery with dessert, cookie and bread stations
    Out-of-area newspapers (around the world)
    Bulk candy, bulk nuts, bulk spices, bulk grains aisle

Not saying you're wrong, but I know of places where there are McDonalds within two blocks of each other. York Road in suburban Baltimore immediately comes to mind.

9. Scott_Tittrington

Scott_Tittrington New Member

Gandolfo's Deli.

Better than the rest, and it's not even close.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

So you like the design of the place?

11. Bubbler

Bubbler Well-Known Member

Cousins beats all. Unfortunately, there aren't any in my immediate vicinty.

I like Subway better than Quizno's. But I like Jimmy John's better than either, at least when they don't put brown lettuce on my sandwich, which is what happened on my last trip to a Jimmy John's in Champaign. That sandwich presumably fed a whole family of raccoons on I-74.

There's also a northwoods chain called Erbert and Gerbert's that's pretty good.

12. shotglass

shotglass Guest

Oh ... thanks. I forgot the HELMETS station.

Draft saved Draft deleted