1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- NEW -- WEEK 4 -- 9/24/07 PAGE 16

My hunch is to go with Rutgers, but I haven't seen Cincy play. So I'm just guessing.

2. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- NEW -- WEEK 4 -- 9/24/07 PAGE 16

Haven't seen Cincy play, but I have heard many great things about their coach. Brian Kelly is following the Jim Tressel playbook (if not the sleaziness ::)), winning two national championships at Grand Valley State before taking Central Michigan to a MAC title and a bowl game.

I think a coach's system matters more in college, and the Bearclaws are climbing higher and higher in my poll for that reason. We'll see how they do against Rutgers, but I like their chances.

3. Songbird

Songbird Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- NEW -- WEEK 4 -- 9/24/07 PAGE 16

I've watched about 8-10 Cincy games the last 5-6 years, mostly when they're at home, and they play great at home. Cincy ain't used to being 5-0. In fact, when was the last time? I don't remember Cincy ever being 5-0 in my lifetime.

The more I think about it, the more I think Rutgers will be razor sharp.

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Last and final call for Micropolitan Guy !!!!

5. dreunc1542

dreunc1542 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- LAST CALL FOR MICROPOLITAN GUY (and I mean last)

I think Cinci-USF could end up determining who wins the Big East. Both of them have defenses that have really impressed me, even if Cinci's schedule hasn't been very good to this point. Rutgers-Cinci will be a close one, IMO.

6. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Week 5 -- New -- 10/01/07

By SLAPPY 4428
    SportsJournalists.com POLL GUY

So I get my wide bottom off the chair, in between typing in poll agate and doing features on football players who really try hard, and I notice these four hot chicks carrying moving boxes through the back door.
    I mean proveably and demonstrably hot; the 'My Blue Heaven" kinda hot where Steve Martin turns to Carol Kane and says "You shouldn't be in the frozen food section. Why? Cause you'll melt all this stuff."
    I walk over to say hello and one of them says "You're Slappy!" I stop, walk over and have no idea how she knows. "We're Clairvoyant," the hottest one says, propping a box marked "nasty old footwear" discard on her hip. "And these are Jennyvoyant, and Judyvoyant and TammyVoyant."
    Why are you speaking in the third person, I ask.
    "Because it's always the thing to do when we hold this box. We all go to supernatural school. We used to do it for healing, now we do it for ESP."
    Like extrasensory perception?
    "Yeah," she said. "I can tell you anything you want to know."
    OK, what happened to this week's SportsJournalists.com poll?
    "Glad you asked," chimed in Jenny, wearing a "STD Navy" shirt two sizes too small. "It's like this. We knew this was going to happen two weeks ago, and no one believed us. So we had to move.
    "Honestly, if you'd have said that Kentucky and South Florida were going to be ranked ahead Oklahoma and Georgia, you'd have thought we were nuts."
    OK, valid point.
    "We knew, because we worked with a guy who said he covered all four schools in his life time and he's never wrong," said Judy, who said she used to work in human resources, but found this more fulfilling. "Think about it. They'd have locked us up with no batteries for our Tonka Toys if Kansas, Kansas State and Cincinnati were ahead of Michigan, Penn State and Auburn and that Alabama would get as many votes as Wyoming."
    So what brings you here to Hooterville? It's not the air, it sure isn't the freight train that runs by and I know all y'all aren't here for the scintillating conversation.
    "We're here for the party," said Tammy.
    What party? The average age of the people on this block is 65-to-dead.
    "The Kentucky-USF title game, silly. And that's no bull."

RK. TEAM (1st) PTS. LAST

1. Southern Cal (25) 889 1
    2. LSU (11) 875 2
    3. California 818 6
    4. Ohio State 774 8
    5. Wisconsin 720 9
    6. South Florida 699 15
    7. Boston College 654 12
    8. Florida 600 3
    9. Kentucky 588 14
    10. Oklahoma 527 4
    11. West Virginia 495 5
    12. Oregon 445 11
    13. South Carolina 439 17
    14. Georgia 401 16
    15. Hawaii 378 18
    16. Texas 327 7
    17. Virginia Tech 324 19
    18. Missouri 296 20
    19. Arizona State 280 22
    20. Cincinnati 248 24
    21. Rutgers 185 10
    22. Clemson 124 13
    23. Purdue 112 NR
    24. Nebraska 102 23
    25. UCLA 70 NR

Also receiving votes: Kansas State 64; Kansas 48; Boise State 27; Florida State 26; Colorado 25; Illinois 18; Georgia Tech 17; Michigan 16; Miami (Fla.) 15; Michigan State 14; Auburn 13; Louisville 9; Central Florida 8; Arkansas 6; Connecticut 6; Texas A&M 5; Virginia 5; Maryland 3; Alabama 2; Wyoming 2; Penn State 1.

SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll committee:
    Slappy4428 (chairman), Oz, The Good Doctor, Elliotte Friedman, Hockeybeat, amraeder, Starman, Eagleboy, Hank Scorpio, Sportschick, Mystery Meat, Barsuk, WS, GB-Hack, Della9250, Mayfly, Songbird, dparker85, Gutter, Buckweaver, sxysprtswrtr, Orville Redenbacher, spnited, Idaho, Huggy, Joel Hammond, Precious Roy, HackWilson191, BYH, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Rufino, Trooper Bari, Beanpole, OJ1414, Jesus_Muscatel.

7. zeke12

zeke12 Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- New -- Week 5 -- Page 22

Slappy, it's an honor.

Well done.

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

South Florida in sixth.... Kentucky in ninth... Cal in third.... pigs are flying outside my window...

(*Zeke, just send me an email next week to remind me of the other option for the story...)

9. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

I didn't rank them.

10. Barsuk

Barsuk Active Member

Neither did I.

11. WS

WS Member

so what happens if we get a Cincinnati vs. California national championship?

12. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

The end times.

Draft saved Draft deleted