1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Who was your favorite team to play as in Tecmo Super Bowl?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Beaker, Sep 27, 2007.

1. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

I played with the Jets. And just like in real life, the Jest suffered from gangrene.

2. SportsDude

SportsDude Active Member

Loved the run and shoot teams, too. I wish someone in the NFL would still run it. A great offense.

3. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

NFL teams run variations of the run-and-shoot; using no-huddle offenses; three, four and five-wide sets; option plays are written into the playbook.

It was a great offense, probably was ahead of its time, but it's something that has to be used as a change-of-pace. Otherwise, it's easy to defend. Teams would run out nickle and dime defenses against the run-and-shoot to slow it down.

4. Without a doubt, the Eagles.

One word: Randall

5. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

Randall Cunningham didn't exist.

It was QB Eagles.

6. Magnum

Magnum Member

Really? I don't remember that. For some reason I remember his name spelled Cunningha on the rosters because his name was too long. He was the only guy worth playing because Heath Sherman always folded like a stack of cards.

7. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

Wrong game, maybe. He was definitely QB Eagles in Tecmo Bowl.

8. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

I believe there was also a QB Browns.

9. kingcreole

kingcreole Active Member

You knew it was Cunningham, because he was one bad mofo, but on Tecmo Super Bowl, he was just QB Eagles.

10. Magnum

Magnum Member

This thread is bringing back a lot of memories, even if they're not all correct. :D

Hate to threadjack, but did anyone on here ever play a baseball game on Commodore 64 in the 80s that allowed you to be just about every team in history - aside from me? I can't remember the name of it but boy did I spend hours playing that game as a kid. You couldn't control the players movements - swinging, baserunning - so you didn't need a joystick, but IIRC you just pressed the corresponding key with what pitch you wanted to throw or what you thought would be thrown.

To this day, it's the most realistic strategic baseball game I ever played. You could warmup a pitcher in the bullpen and it contained just about every stat imaginable. I remember playing a All-time AL team that had Ruth, Gehrig, Gehringer, etc. that just crushed everybody.

I also played with the Royals and Cardinals. Hal McRae struck out all the time and Buddy Biancalana hit .087 for the season ...

If anyone can remember the name, I'd really appreciate it.

11. Beaker

Beaker Active Member

Also, Jim Kelly was QB Bills.

12. buckweaver

buckweaver Active Member

You know, it might the game I was talking about: MicroLeague Baseball. It's my favorite game ever.

It was a strategy game; you used the keyboard to make your selection before each pitch (going by memory here):

Offense: 0 for swing away, 1 for "play it safe", 2 for hit and run, 3 for steal, 4 for "aggressive runners", 5 for sacrifice, 6 for "bunt for hit," 7 to pinch hit, 8 to pinch run and 9 for ... something.

Defense: 1 for fastball, 2 for curve, 3 for slider, 4 for "off speed/special pitch" ... 7 for pitchout, 8 for intentional walk, 9 for "mound visit," 0 for "manager visit".

Then the game would "play": a pixelated pitcher would throw a pixelated pitch, and the batter would swing with his pixelated bat. The scoreboard advanced the story with the play-by-play. "Slow grounder to third / Schmidt fields it cleanly / Out by a step." And then the pixelated runner would scoot back to the dugout as a little dinging sound noted the out.

If there was a home run to deep center, it said "Uh-oh ... might be trouble / Holy Toledo!" ... and then another ding-ding ... "It's gone!" :D

The game, or at least the one I had, came with the following teams (memory, again): All-Time AL Stars, All-Time NL Stars, All-Time Tigers, All-Time Phillies, 1927 Yankees, 1945 Cubs, 1955 Dodgers, 1955 Senators(?!), 1961 Yanks, 1963 Dodgers, 1968 Tigers, 1969 Mets, 1972 A's, 1975 Reds/Sox, 1978 Yanks, 1980 Phils/Royals/Astros, 1982 Cards/Brewers, 1983 O's, 1986 AL/NL All-Stars ...

You could buy a 1984 roster disk with complete teams from that year, and a 1985 roster disk with complete teams from that year. You could also buy an Owner/GM disk that allowed you to a) create your own teams (I remember creating the 1991 Braves when I was 9 :D), and b) create leagues to play your own seasons. It would keep stats for you.

It was amazing. I spent at least two cumulative years of my life playing that game. Never been anything like it, before or since.

Draft saved Draft deleted