1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Best Season Premieres so far?

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Cansportschick, Sep 24, 2007.

1. estreetband75

estreetband75 Member

I thought Private Practice was solid. DVR's Dirty Sexy Money to watch later on.

21 1/2 hours until Grey's

2. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

DIRTY SEXY MONEY is fantastic. Peter Krause is great. The family members are pitch perfect, blissfully lacking in self-awareness but also somewhat human. My favorite character is the foul-mouthed priest who threatens people with physical violence. Classic.
    Also saw Life, love Damien Lewis from Band of Brothers, but haven't we seen enough quirky detectives? The character is already loaded, courtesy of a financial settlement for being wrongfully imprisoned. Does he need to have a fruit fetish and quote Zen as well why he tries to figure out who set him up?

3. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

Wow, Dan, couldn't disagree with you more on Life. It's the best new show I've seen. I think it has a ton of potential, and I hope it catches on so I get to see it run its course.

On the other hand, I found Bionic Woman extremely disappointing. It was obtuse, trying really hard to be Alias, and some of the dialogue was groan-worthy. I might give it one more try, but my confidence is low.

Anybody else bothered by how networks market some of these shows? NBC has been pounding us over the head with how Bionic Woman is "the most anticipated premiere of the year." (Anticipated by who? They don't say.) Meanwhile they tout Life as "that one show every year that sneaks up and surprises people." That's got to make the team behind Life feel great, eh?

4. DanOregon

AB - don't get me wrong. I'm rooting for the show. It does have great potential and I'll stick with it, I'm just concerned some viewers won't "get" the lead character.
    They did screw up having the Crews say he was in federal prison, when Pelican Bay is a Calif. state prison. And I think you have to screw up at one of the other state prisons to be "graduated" to Pelican Bay.

5. ArnoldBabar

ArnoldBabar Active Member

I see what you mean, Life definitely has all the hallmarks of a potentially great show that gets axed after seven episodes because people don't quite get it and find another episode of CSI more easily digestible. And i hope people don't just say, "Oh, quirky detective -- it's like Monk," when the guy is nothing like Monk.

Don't know about the prison thing. Maybe Pelican Bay just sounded cool. Also, you seem to know entirely too much about prisons. :)

6. DanOregon

I've been inside a couple....(for stories)

7. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Outing alert: Dan Oregon is really...

[​IMG]

Anyhoo, Bionic Woman had a nice vibe of intrigue and danger around every corner. Tho the lead kinda became prematurely tough for someone so recently traumatized.

And Life has potential to be great, and potential to jump the shark by Week 4. They need to reduce the Zen lines to one every couple minutes, at least, and lose that sourpuss captain who's trying to get the lead guy out of the picture.

8. DanOregon

More of a cross between O.Henry, Brubaker and Red from Shawshank Redemption.

9. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Oh my God did Private Practice suck... If it keeps up like this, it won't last the season...

The Tim Daly-Kate Walsh storyline is interesting... Everybody else on the show is fucking dreadful. I would have thought this show was a can't miss, but they're whiffing big time...

Dirty Sexy Money was great...

10. D-3 Fan

D-3 Fan Well-Known Member

[quote author=dooley_womack1]
    And Life has potential to be great, and potential to jump the shark by Week 4. They need to reduce the Zen lines to one every couple minutes, at least, and lose that sourpuss captain who's trying to get the lead guy out of the picture.
    [/quote]The captain isn't going anywhere.  She's part of the story and here's a clue:  in the final scene when Charlie is looking the collage he put together in order to find out who framed him for the triple murder, her picture was on that wall (her hair was pulled back in a headshot).  Clearly, there are a few in the PD that railroaded Charlie and are not happy he's been cleared. 

That was part of the reason the captain paired Charlie with his new partner.  She's been drug-free for 21 months and she's on the captain's shit list as well. 

I wouldn't freak out over the fact that Pelican Bay was used as a fed jail.  I thought Pelican Bay was a fictional prison at first. 

Nevertheless, I was hopping between Life and DSM and I'm going to love watching these two shows.  The banter between Krause and Baldwin over the tranny hooker was hilarious, as well as when the daughter was getting bitched out by the director in the theater. 

Life is no Monk.  Monk had OCD and is quirky is his own way.  Crews still thinks like a cop, but with some zen tendencies he picked up in the slammer.  He's going to need that Zen to calmly and carefully piece together who framed him.  He has a calm sense of exacting revenge, not the "possessive" angry manner that most would have. 

I like the Bionic Woman opener. The storyline was a little choppy between Jamie and her sister, but in time it will smooth over into the fabric of the show.

It's nice to see Dr. Macy return to NBC. I swear, Miguel Ferrer has to be NBC's official sourpuss actor, for all the moody cantankerous roles he has played.

I can't wait for next week. Isaiah Washington makes his debut. That should be fun.

11. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Just finished watching Life... I loved it, but I agree that this could be one of those shows that falls through the cracks for whatever reason... I hope it doesn't happen...

12. outofplace

outofplace Well-Known Member

Being opposite Dirty, Sexy Money won't help. That show just seems more likely to find an audience.

And I just don't see Bionic Woman being that powerful of a lead-in. I liked it, but I'm right in the wheelhouse of a show like that. For every built-in sci-fi fan, there is a large group of viewers who will never give any sci-fi show a chance.

Draft saved Draft deleted