1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

MUSIC THREAD

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Moderator1, May 4, 2006.

1. Clubber_Slang

Clubber_Slang Active Member

That sounds like a new version of that "Stop" song he did with Swizz Beats a few years back. Or it could just be some net remix. Either way, not a fan.

And yes, Kingdom Come was pretty wack. Also:RD was great. Vol 2 sucks. Vol. 3 is good. Blueprint is awesome.

And II: Papoose is overrated.

2. Mayfly

Mayfly Active Member

Clubber...

Papoose is overrated? I would love to hear your reasoning on this. He never ceases to amaze me with his tracks and his emotion is some of the rawest I have heard in rap.

3. Clubber_Slang

He sounds like elmer fudd and the whole trying to pack as many syllables into a line as possible gets old after a while. I like some of his songs, but people act like he's the savior of NY hip-hop .... he's just another mixtape rapper.

4. imjustagirl2

imjustagirl2 New Member

Fine. I gave up and downloaded Kanye. And I'll say this: the two singles are the weakest songs not called "Barry Bonds" on there. I love virtually everything else.

Hate the singles, though.

5. Dignan11

Dignan11 Member

Less than a month and Ween's new album La Cucaracha goes on sale. The Boys keep it brown in a city near you.
    http://www.chocodog.com/chocodog/ween/ween_new/noflash_fr.html

6. Cansportschick

Cansportschick Active Member

This morning, someone played for me Daft Punk's version of Stronger and boy was it different than Kanye's.

You all should have a listen and see for yourself.

Also, any fans of Coldplay....did I hear right that a new album which is only going to run 40 minuted total is going to be released this year? Does anyone know when per say it will be coming out?

7. Gift of Gab does a much better version of that, but he calls it Alphabet Olympics. Far superior MC all in all than Papoose, Jay-Z, etc; Even if he has started getting a bit too Jesusy on me

8. Clubber_Slang

It's called Alphabet Aerobics -- but yeah, I liked that one better too.

Here's a homemade YouTube video of it...

9. Cosmo

Cosmo Well-Known Member

Weirdly enough, I really like Barry Bonds ... the song, not the baseball player. I think the four songs right after Drunk and Hot Girls are really strong ... just great mellow beats.

10. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

For those that aren't into the rap/hip-hop scene and want a great album by a singer-songwriter who can rock and be acoustic on the same disc, get Rod Picott's 'Summerbirds' when it comes out next week.
    I got my hands on an advance copy (it came out overseas earlier this summer) and this is my favorite disc so far this year - yes I like it even better than Bruce's new one.
    You can hear two of the songs here:
    http://www.rodpicott.com/music.html
    and three others here:
    http://www.fishrecords1.co.uk/reviews/summerbirds.htm

11. pallister

pallister Guest

Joe,

First of all, thank God for a non-rap/hip-hop-related post. Secondly, I can't access those files from the computer I'm on and my laptop is broken, but I was curious who you would compare Picott to. I've heard his name a number of times but never listened to any of his stuff.

12. EStreetJoe

EStreetJoe Well-Known Member

He and Slaid Cleaves are childhood friends, hailing from the same town in Maine. They've written a bunch of songs together. Not quite sure who I would compare him to. Others have compared his writing style to Springsteen, Tom Waits, Fred Eaglesmith, and Steve Earle among others.

http://rodpicott.com/media.html

Draft saved Draft deleted