1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Oklahoma State coach Gundy blasts Oklahoman columnist

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by Precious Roy, Sep 22, 2007.

1. Yawn

Yawn New Member

T. Boone Pickens' family, no doubt.

2. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Speaking of the blog comments, I wanted to talk about this beauty:

There are few accusations I hate more than "you just did it to sell papers."

I haven't read the column yet -- their site is either down or my computer is messed up -- but from what I'm gathering I wouldn't approve of it. But about the comment -- what kind of moron really thinks wehope to "increase their readership" with one damn column? Go ahead and add accusations about trying to get a better job or make a name for yourself to the "up readership" one. I mean really, have you ever written a column to up readership? Who the fuck does this idiot think is going to start subscribing to the paper because she ripped apart the OSU quarterback? OU fans? While I'm sure they're loving this, I highly HIGHLY doubt they'll buy any extra papers because of it.

Fans can be so fucking stupid. They honestly think we have an overarching agenda and every article we write is a part of it, each one a piece to our grand plan to make their arch rival more powerful. Fans are stupid ... which is why when you're going to criticize a college kid, your accusations better check out and be nailed down tight unless you want an entire state of overreacting coaches and dumbass message board fans slamming you all week long. Say what you want about Gundy being as asshole -- he obviously was -- but I'd rather not be the journo sitting through that, and I'd rather be able to counter stupid emails with facts rather than rumor.

People automatically think we're biased against them. It's a stupid belief, but I think it's why we always need to go the extra mile to be fair.

3. silentbob

silentbob Member

I'm almost convinced she did not witness the chicken scene.
    And on the same note, I'm pretty shocked some of you like the chicken detail.
    I dont think there's anything wrong with looking for that extra detail or anecdote, but a mother feeding her son chicken says nothing about who the boy is or what he does.
    It's just strange. I had to read it a couple times to try and figure out what she was saying.
    If you include a detail that odd, its meaning has to be clear.
    Overall, a poorly reported column. She had an idea of what she wanted to say but had to use phrases and words like "apparently," "word is" and "rumors" to pull it off.
    If you're gonna blast someone, do it authoritively.
    That said, the coach's tirade was kind of funny. I expected him to tell everyone to run five laps once he was finished.

4. Pilot

Pilot Well-Known Member

Of course his rant was good. Come on. IT'S THE BIG 12!!!!!!!! IT AIN'T INTERMURALS!!!!! If you're going to rant in THE BIG 12 you have to bring it.

5. willheath

willheath New Member

I actually was wondering the same things. Is he trying to show his guys he'll protect them in front of the media? Or, in a similar vein, is he trying to intimidate members of the media by calling someone out in front of them ("Don't mess with me, or I'll embarrass YOU in front of YOUR colleagues like that")?
    Here's another question, and only because I love conspiracy theories: is Gundy one of the ones feeding Carlson her info? And did he go off in front of everybody (and not over the phone or in private) because he wanted to provide himself some plausible deniability?
    Clearly, I know nothing about the story -- just some questions I have swirling around in my head in the wee hours of a Monday.

wlh

6. Shaggy

Shaggy Guest

I'd say about 90 of the 120 college football coaches in Division I-A would prefer that the media never, ever come around, but the stadium is filled 70,000 strong every Saturday regardless.

Many of them are unreasonable pricks. I don't know what it is about that profession that attracts bad people.

7. DanOregon

DanOregon Well-Known Member

I hate "visor coaches" - I don't know what it is, but they usually come across like jerks. And I love Gruden. But they just tend to be immature and come across as little boys. I never knew why Gundy was such the fair-haired boy. It's T's money he can hire who he wants, but the ol' boy could have done better.
    I can understand he was upset and was defending his player, but when you don't answer questions on why player A isn't playing, the media will do their best to find out. If he was straight about the situation in the first place the column wouldn't have been written.

8. Rufino

Rufino Active Member

Like many, I didn't particularly care for the column but thought Gundy's reaction to it was extrememly embarassing. The most ridiculous part is Gundy doing this after such an important win. Lose to the Red Raiders and he can stick a fork in his team's season and maybe his career as a head coach. Instead of praising his team for regrouping and winning a critical game, Gundy decides to pitch a temper tantrum about a column he didn't like and storm out. Maybe he thought that would up the pressure on her, but it made him come off like an immature jerk.

9. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Like someone else, I can't get it to load. ... Can someone C&P, or tell me if it's simply on my end?

10. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Having known the sports editor at THe Oklahoman at his time in Tennessee and now in Oklahoma, I bet it was his idea to have Carlson write this article. He is all about creating controversy in every article. He wants his writers to creat controversy and try to stir something up every chance they get, even when there is nothing going on. I agree with you that the column seemed like a tabloid like article. It wasn't one of Carlson's better columns. I think she is a way better writer than this.
    At the same time, it doesn't excuse Gundy's childlike behavior.

11. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

I haven't read all six threads. Thought the tirade was weak and pathetic.

The column wasn't very good. When you have to resort to second-hand psychoanalysis about why a player isn't starting, it's best to try something else.

The Oklahoman website is suckage squared. Slow and confusing.

12. wannabeu

wannabeu Member

Decent paper, lousy website. I agree with you Ace, the website has shit all over the place. It's confusing and disorganized.

Draft saved Draft deleted