1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Dry Cleaning

Discussion in 'Anything goes' started by Theoldbenchwarmer, Sep 21, 2007.

1. Make sure you tell them you want it dry-cleaned or they may just stick it in the washer. It's not implied with all dry cleaners, believe it or not.

2. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Mine are washed, not cleaned, because as JR said, they don't last as long otherwise.

3. I've never heard that. I've got a relative who owns a dry cleaners. Her most frequent customers are cops, firemen, businessmen - people who like starch. I prefer just to wash my own clothes because I don't feel like spending the money.

4. Mizzougrad96

Mizzougrad96 Active Member

Yeah, get the shirts laundered... It's a lot cheaper too...

5. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I'm not one for readily spending wads of cash myself, but I've come to the point where I'd rather look good and spend a few bucks a week on shirts looking nice.

6. JR

JR Well-Known Member

Wicked, you're just lazy. :)

7. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

That, too. And it gives me more time to drink.

8. trounced

trounced Active Member

You'll end up spending more because it's so convenient, but a lot of drycleaners have free delivery. For example, they'll pick up and drop off on Tuesdays and Fridays, or Mondays and Thursdays. That's a fantastic service. It becomes a pain to run to the dry cleaners all the time.

9. Ace

Ace Well-Known Member

The first couple times I brought in dress shirts tot he dry cleaners, I buttoned them all the way up and put them on a hanger. Man, did that piss the dry cleaner guy off.

10. Sam Mills 51

Sam Mills 51 Well-Known Member

No point in being a punk to the poster. Good grief ...

Take those suits to the dry cleaners. I usually find good shirts that don't require ironing (that doesn't mean they wouldn't look a little better ironed ... the key with the right wrinkle-free shirts is to hang them up the moment you pull them out of the dryer).

Admittedly, I'm not very skilled with an iron. Getting burned by one by a careless idiot in sixth grade (class project, not in home economics) can cause one to not like it.

Wicked, it's rarely worth it to dry clean ties, unless it cost triple digits and can also survive the dry-cleaning process. Given trends, it's almost easier to just buy new ones in whatever style is supposedly deemed fashionable ...

11. Ben_Hecht

Ben_Hecht Active Member

Dry-cleaning ties is a losing proposition . . . it's in the bylaws -- ties that are of sufficiently-high quality virtually never look quite the same after having endured a dry cleaning.

Tucking tie into shirt, stuffing napkin under chin, and/or employment of a lobster bib
    are the few ways to avoid the Day of Reckoning.

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

I have some ties that I've kept around for a good 10 years, because I like them a lot, but they do get dirty (not even with foodstuffs, either).

Draft saved Draft deleted