1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Week 1 -- App St. Ruling

Paging... Songbird, Mayfly, Sxysptswrtr... you are on the clock and have a little more than an hour for your picks...

2. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Sweet, mayfly's 2-for-2.

3. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Mayfly doesn't send them to me by 3 pm eastern, he wont have to worry about next week.,

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

The Catholic High School League in metro Detroit plays baseball using the 3-2 rule -- simply, the batter starts each at-bat with a 1-1 count in order to speed up the games and save arms.
    After three polls, that's what we're going to do with this poll -- the 3-2 rule.
    3 -- is 3 p.m. Eastern, the time the poll is due each Monday. I'm not asking a lot; it gives you basically a day and a half to spend 10 minutes to get it to me. I know what AP goes through with this; it's a pain in the ass trying to get everyone to get it together. I have no problem with bending a deadline if I know it's coming. You need an hour, great -- let me know. You need until 5 p.m. and it's not there at 10, I'm not waiting. Which leads us to
    2 -- number of strikes. First miss is your gimme; second miss is a polite "thanks for playing, we have some lovely parting gifts." Getting it in on time isn't asking for much. It's due by Monday; Monday happens every week.
    I'm not trying to be a dick with this; I think the idea kind of cool and all of you must too or you wouldn't be doing this. But it also creates less stress and begging with me.
    So from now on, unless you give me a heads-up, hard deadline is 3 p.m. Monday; one voter did that this week and I'll expect his vote by 4 p.m. Eastern.
    Thanks for your help and consideration.
    Slappy

5. hockeybeat

hockeybeat Guest

Slap,

Thanks for putting this together. And you're right. It should not be this difficult for voters to put their Top 25 list.

Could I suggest PMing the voters Sunday night around nine to remind the voters for their Top 25?

I shall now slink away quietly.

HB

6. Sxysprtswrtr

Sxysprtswrtr Active Member

My poll was submitted exactly 34 minutes ago and is 7 inches long. :)
    Seriously - sorry. I'm a loser. I was under the due-by Tuesday at noon for some reason. Won't happen again.

While I'm here - I'm still putting Hawaii up pretty high, knocked down Nebraska, propelled Penn State up some and am going out on a long limb with Clemson.

7. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Sxy posting something about seven inches long. There's a joke in there somewhere ...

8. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Actually, it's the same couple of people because 33 of the 37 had their picks in on time. And if 37 doesn't send me his picks by the time 36 sends me a correction for taking Ohio State twice, the number of voters will be 36....especially after he PMd me asking about the deadline....

9. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Sept 10, 2007

By SLAPPY4428
    SportsJournalists.com POLLMEISTER

Now that we've dumped the pretenders (Michigan, Notre Dame, Boise State, Miami) and the posers (Auburn, Tennessee, Georgia, Virginia Tech), let's look at some good things about teams in the college football poll.
    You know, coaches always want to you write good stuff. Moms and dads want to read about good stuff. Fanboys want you to write about the good stuff -- unless their team is really bad and they've jumped off the bandwagon (can you feel the vibrations from Stadium and Main or Juniper Avenue?).
    So we're going to write about good stuff this week. Remember, there's a difference between good and positive...
    • That breeze you felt blow past you belongs to the Mighty Bulls of South Florida, who turned Jordan-Hare Stadium into the streets of Pamplona in the wee hours of Saturday morning and gored Auburn in overtime. The Bulls moved from 43rd in the poll to 24th at the expense of Aubie quarterback Brandon Cox who, when asked by a trainer how many fingers he was holding up, answered "Thursday."
    • Nebraska continues to climb in the poll, moving from 17 to 14 this week in anticipation of Pete Carroll’s All-Star team hitting town. Jimmy Crackcorn meets Hollywood in Lincoln.
    • Darth Visor is proving to practice what he preaches in South Carolina as the Cocks (with out the use of blue pills) rose from 32nd to 18. Good news for the Cocks, especially with always tough South Carolina State coming in town.
    • Oregon took advantage of Michigan's hospitality in the Full House and also climbed to 17th in this week's poll. Michigan hasn't won a game since Bo Schembechler passed away. Out of respect for the family, the team decided to wait for Bo's son Shemy to finish his eulogy before playing football again.
    • Love for Cincinnati, Wyoming and Arizona State this week, but the big wet kiss goes to the voters who laid a fat one on Washington this week with a 27th place debut. Think ND fans are starting to realize it ain't coach, but the place?
    • Potential upset of the week? Can Kentucky knock off Lousyville? Potential rout of the week? Can Tennessee score on Florida? Potential Miracle of the week? Does Weber State have press guides yet?
    • "Les Miles? Les Miles, white courtesy phone please."
    • Voters weren't enthused by Hawaii's win over La. Tech. At least it wasn't a loss to Alabama like last year.
    • Florida State dropped in the poll among those also receiving votes despite a win over UAB. The drop coincided with the discovery that Chuck Amato is as assistant coach with the Seminoles.
    • And the feel-good story (courtesy of the Athens Messenger) comes from the Mid-American Conference where the football team and assorted hangers-on returned to Peden Stadium from a road win at Louisiana-Lafayette to find all their cars ticketed for illegal parking despite temporary permits allowing them to do so.
      Of course, parking for long periods of time and going nowhere is not unusual at Mid-American Conference schools. It explains Elliott Uzelac, Cleve Bryant, and any Eastern Michigan coach for the past 30 years.

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Week 2

SportsJournalists.com POLL
    9/10/2007

No. Team (1st) Pts. Last

1. Southern Cal (25) 883 1
    2. LSU (7) 869 2
    3. Florida (3) 790 4
    4. West Virginia (1) 776 3
    5. Oklahoma 762 7
    6. Texas 692 6
    7. Wisconsin 679 5
    8. California 651 9
    9. Louisville 609 8
    10. Ohio State 549 10
    11. Penn State 522 15
    12. UCLA 492 13
    13. Rutgers 464 14
    14. Nebraska 387 17
    15. Georgia Tech 292 25
    16. Arkansas 282 19
    17. Oregon 250 NR
    18. South Carolina 246 NR
    19. Clemson 216 24
    20. Boston College 211 NR
    21. Tennessee 184 22
    --- Virginia Tech 184 11
    23. Hawaii 158 20
    24. South Florida 125 NR
    25. Texas A&M 114 23
    Also receiving votes: Georgia 107 ; Washington 43; Auburn 36 ; Missouri 29; TCU 25; Alabama 25; Boise State 19; Ohio U. 7; Florida State 5; Texas Tech 5; Kentucky 3; Cincinnati 3; Arizona State 3; Indiana 2; Wyoming 1.
    SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), Oz, The Good Doctor, Elliotte Friedman, Hockeybeat, amraeder, Starman, Eagleboy, Hank Scorpio, Sportschick, Mystery Meat, Barsuk, WS, GB-Hack, Della9250, Mayfly, Songbird, Huggy, dparker85, Gutter, Buckweaver, sxysprtswrtr, Orville Redenbacher, spnited, Idaho, Joel Hammond, Precious Roy, HackWilson191, BYH, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Rufino, Trooper Bari, Beanpole, OJ1818, Jesus_Muscatel. (MIA: Songbird)

11. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

My Bobcats are slipping. Come on folks, sympathy for the wrongly parking ticketed!

12. JoelHammond

JoelHammond Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Week 2 -- NEW

Hey 'chick, wager on BG/OU?

Draft saved Draft deleted