1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

Yahoo is getting serious ...

Discussion in 'Journalism topics only' started by kaisersoze, Sep 7, 2007.

1. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

Well, you didn't confirm it when you put "supposedly," and you don't have a problem with such bullshit. And "writing a book" does not equal "joining a Web site," so her name has nothing to do with the price of tea in China. And it's hard to have a source about the future (unless it's Faith Popcorn), but every time a bunch of corporate entities have spent out the ass on Internet enterprises, not all of them have survived fully. So I'll use history as my source. And do you really think most of Yahoo's hits are to visit Jeff Passan and Terry Bowden? Man, you gotta be deluded to even imagine that being true. And I think Passan is decent; I'm just citing him as the poster boy of how Yahoo will supposedly kill newspapers.

2. shockey

shockey Active Member

no sources. just an opinon. again, no one knows how the "hits" translate to actual readers. i only actually know based upon what i hear from the folks i talk to in the biz and in my life. and few even have yahoo! sports on their radar. why should my view bother anyone? i could be totally wrong and out of touch. no biggie.

maybe the passans and woj's get loads of feedback from readers via email. i'd hope so. yahoo! can be read by mega-millions, obviously. i just hear from no one who does, just in the course of conversation. apparently, i run in the srong circles these days.

3. spaceman

spaceman Active Member

oh, those crazy internet kids and their "hits"

4. dooley_womack1

dooley_womack1 Well-Known Member

So, regarding Yahoo, would you hit it?

5. IGotQuestions

IGotQuestions Member

I go to Yahoo as my No. 1 source for sports, but I very rarely ever read a yahoo byline. It's always box scores or AP versions. I've read Passan a few times out of curiosity, but that's it. And I can't stand espn.com, the site is junked up with too many heads, links, colors. Yahoo is following their lead, and the home sports page soon will be information overlaod a la espn's site. Many of my friends feel the same way.

6. lono

lono Active Member

[blue]Wow, you personally insulted me.

That must mean you're absolutely infallible in your beliefs and intellect.

Either that, or you're my ex-wife.[/blue]

Whichever is the case: Lighten up, Francis.

7. CaliforniaRed

CaliforniaRed Member

Newspapers won't die but there's a reason the Internet has money folks... ad dollars are ALL (TV, radio, print) heading to the WWW.

Look at the numbers from the Wash. Post - ad sales down across the board, except online. Our current generation is the first in this country to say they'd rather have Internet access than a TV set.

As for Yahoo - it is the biggest content-driven site on the Web so it's bound to hire some quality sportswriters to fill in the edges around the boxes/game reports all sports fans are hitting up on a regular basis.

8. thebiglead

thebiglead Member

Cal Red - Here is a chart that also may help you with any questions as to where advertising money is going.
    http://www.iab.net/news/pr_2006_05_30.asp

Also, ad dollars re: internet vs. Radio
    http://www.fmqb.com/Article.asp?id=465727

We hope to have the August comScore numbers (net's version of circulation #'s) tomorrow. The numbers may surprise you.

9. txscoop

txscoop Member

Heard that also.

10. GuessWho

GuessWho Active Member

It's a sure thing now.

11. Angola!

Angola! Guest

Didn't know where else to put this, but what the fuck is this? I understand Yahoo! doesn't staff every game ever, but they couldn't get an AP story on this game? Or at least edit whatever this trash is? The writer lists the score as Florida State leading 6-16.

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaaf/news;_ylt=AoZiTpxMj8Vpbe0HBHqV21dP1LYF?slug=uwire-cudropshomeopenertoflorida&prov=uwire&type=lgns

12. rascalface

rascalface Member

It's U-Wire ... student journalists.

Draft saved Draft deleted