1. Welcome to SportsJournalists.com, a friendly forum for discussing all things sports and journalism.

Your voice is missing! You will need to register for a free account to get access to the following site features:
    • Reply to discussions and create your own threads.
    • Access to private conversations with other members.
    • Fewer ads.

We hope to see you as a part of our community soon!

FINALLY! SJ.com College Football Poll -- FINAL POST-BOWL POLL -- PAGE 48

Discussion in 'Sports and News' started by slappy4428, Aug 22, 2007.

1. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Preseason edition **NEW: Voters note top Pg 4**

OK, someone name the first paper that will run this poll on their agate page.

2. Chi City 81

Chi City 81 Guest

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Preseason edition **NEW: Voters note top Pg 4**

The Hungry Horse News?

3. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

For the record, mine's been in for a while now. So I'm not the delinquent. Who knew midday Tuesday didn't mean midday Alaska Daylight Time?

4. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Speaking of that... the last three stragglers have finally found their way home so the poll and story should be done by midnight.

As an FYI, from now on, polls with be due by 3 p.m. Eastern every Monday. Hard deadline. If your going to be late, fine. Tell me, give me a time and stick to that time.
    Jesus Muscatel called a SportsJournalists.com member from the road, gave him his top 25 and he PMd that to me.

As Sgt. Hulka said, "Your mamas are not here to take care of you now."

5. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

I woke up early to get mine in before noon EDT, course I was so tired I ranked West Virginia and Georgia twice.

6. amraeder

amraeder Well-Known Member

It's damned East Coast bias I tells ya :)

7. sportschick

sportschick Active Member

Those Eastern schools. They're all so interchangeably :D

8. Eagleboy

Eagleboy Guest

Come on come on come on...

I'm salivating over here...

9. Jesus_Muscatel

Jesus_Muscatel Well-Known Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Preseason edition **NEW: Voters note top Pg

Juan Valdez has to get me a better transportation next time ....

"EL BURRO!"

10. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll --Week 1

By SLAPPY 4428
    SportsJournalists.com Pollmeister

Sometimes you're the windshield
    Sometimes you're the bug
    Sometimes it all comes together baby
    Sometimes you're just a fool in love
    Sometimes you're the Louisville Slugger
    Sometimes you're the ball
    Sometimes it all comes together
    Sometimes you're gonna lose it all
    -- Mary Chapin Carpenter

OK, maybe a better choice would have been "Freefalling." For that's just what Michigan did after its buns-up-kneeling loss to Appalachian State.
    True, there's no excuse for Michigan losing to a Division IAA/BCS/BS team. At home. After trailing most of the game. Healthy. You get the drift.
    But while Chaminade of the Smokies relishes the fact that were they eligible, they'd probably be 22nd or so in most polls, Lloyd Carr now truly understands what he put John Cooper through. However, Michigan is not the only team that went through the rollercoaster.

One day you got the glory and then you got none
    One day you're a diamond and then you're a stone
    Everything can change in the blink of an eye
    So let the good times roll before we say goodbye because

Take Hawaii, for example. In the first week, only one voter ranked it higher than 16th. This week, there are four.

And there's Clemson, which had one voter rank it in the first week and after a Monday-night kicking of Florida State shot the Tigers ahead of Michigan. (Note to ESPN, editors and everyone else who feels that the all-purpose use of the word "bowl" can apply to every game because you need a cute catch phrase: You earn a spot in a bowl, as in post-season. Tradition can also dictate the game's title such as "Egg Bowl" or "Iron Bowl." Use of the word "Bowl" to make things tidy and cutesy goes through my iron bowels like runny eggs.)

You gotta know happy - you gotta know glad
    Because you're gonna know lonely
    And you're gonna know sad
    When you're rippin' and you're ridin'
    And you're coming on strong
    You start slippin' and slidin'
    And it all goes wrong because

Another case in point is Georgia Tech, which shot into the 24 spot on the strength of its road game over the Fighting Irish, henceforth known as the Irish because the fight clearly has gone out of them.

And yes, you can look ahead -- everyone else is -- to that game in Ann Arbor on Sept. 15 for the possibility of 0-2 Michigan hosting 0-2 Notre Dame; the possibility of which has all the broad appeal of a high-colonic.

Well it's a strange old game you learn it slow
    One step forward and it's back you go
    You're standing on the throttle
    You're standing on the brake
    In the groove 'til you make a mistake

Really, who am I kidding? It all comes back to Michigan. The voter who ranked them No. 1 in the preseason didn't rank them this week. In fact, neither did 23 others -- including someone else who had Michigan third. On the other hand, they are one spot ahead of this week's opponent -- Oregon. God help 'em if they move to one spot ahead of next week's opponent.

Maybe the SEC does it right (Jumpin' Jeebus, even Wisconsin beefed up its schedule). Maybe the lesson is if you have to schedule teams from a patsy conference, make sure it's a patsy team from a patsy conference.
    Or if you're going to schedule a tough team, make sure its on the road for a built-in excuse. Or if you're going to go on the road, make sure its south of the Mason-Dixon line and east of the Trinity River.

Otherwise, in a wonderful bit of irony, some other team will be scraping the Carr off the windshield.

11. slappy4428

slappy4428 Active Member

Re: SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll -- Week 1

SportsJournalists.com football poll Week 1
    9/5/07
    RK Team PTS Last
    1. Southern Cal (27) 884 1
    2. LSU (5) 852 2
    3. West Virginia (1) 821 3
    4. Florida (3) 788 6
    5. Wisconsin 689 8
    6. Texas 673 4
    7. Oklahoma 661 10
    8. Louisville 644 7
    9. California 628 12
    10. Ohio State 534 11
    11. Virginia Tech 503 9
    12. Georgia 482 13
    13. UCLA 416 18
    14. Rutgers 406 14
    15. Penn State 389 17
    16. Auburn 338 16
    17. Nebraska 288 20
    18. Boise State 258 19
    19. Arkansas 256 21
    20. Hawaii 194 23
    21. TCU 187 24
    22. Tennessee 160 15
    23. Texas A&M 104 25
    24. Clemson 100 NR
    25. Georgia Tech 96 NR
    Also receiving votes: Boston College 93; Michigan 66; Oregon 60; Florida State 26; Miami (Fla.) 16; Texas Tech 13; South Carolina 13; Ohio U. 11; Missouri 10; Alabama 8; Oklahoma State 6; Southern Mississippi and Oregon State 5; Iowa 4; Colorado and Wake Forest 3; Kentucky and South Florida 2; Kent State and Indiana 1.

SportsJournalists.com College Football Poll committee: Slappy4428 (chairman), Oz, The Good Doctor, Elliotte Friedman, Hockeybeat, amraeder, Starman, Eagleboy, Hank Scorpio, Sportschick, Mystery Meat, Barsuk, WS, GB-Hack, Della9250, Mayfly, Songbird, Huggy, dparker85, Gutter, Buckweaver, sxysprtswrtr, Orville Redenbacher, spnited, Idaho, Joel Hammond, Precious Roy, HackWilson191, BYH, AgatePage, Piotr Rasputin, Rufino, Trooper Bari, Beanpole, OJ1818, Jesus_Muscatel. (MIA: Micropolitan Guy)

12. wickedwritah

wickedwritah Guest

Michigan got more points in this poll than the AP?

Yowzahs.

Draft saved Draft deleted